“Although the ROD Building was a municipal building, the District of Columbia’s peculiar sovereignty status required that the federal government approve its construction, and that the Treasury Department Section of Fine Art play a major role in its art program…… read more
This 1938 Section of Fine Arts mural”Miners at Work” by Jacob Elshin was originally installed in the Renton post office. Elshin “actually visited underground mines and sketched miners at work for his mural in Renton, Washington, that depicted this historic… read more
Completed by Paul Rohland in 1940, “Dogwood and Azaleas” was originally installed in the Decatur, GA post office. The above photo dates to when it resided there, before being moved to the Federal Building in Atlanta.
This oil-on-canvas mural “General Sully at Yellowstone” was painted by J. K. Ralston in 1942 in what was then the Sidney Post Office. It was funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The building is now used by the… read more
The historic former New Deal post office and federal building—now the Richmond County Administration Building—in Rockingham, North Carolina received an example of New Deal artwork upon its completion. Commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, Edward Laning painted this… read more
The four large granite bas reliefs installed along the side of the William Penn Annex/Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania were carved by Edmond R. Amateis. They are collectively titled “Mail Delivery – North, South, East, West,”… read more
The two large granite reliefs “Law” and “Justice”, as well as two large stone eagles, were carved by Donald De Lue. They were commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1940. They are installed around the exterior of… read more
“New Deal mural entitled “Landing of Swedes at The Rocks in Wilmington” painted in 1938 by Albert Pels. At the time it was painted, it hung behind the judge’s bench in the US Courtroom of the Wilmington Post Office and… read more
This mural “Local Industries” by Natalie Henry was completed with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1940. It was originally in the Springville Post Office, but it is now on display at the Shiloh Museum of Ozark… read more
This 1938 Section of Fine Arts oil-on-canvas mural “Local Pursuits” by Ambrose Patterson was painted for the then Mount Vernon post office. The building (and mural) are now part of Skagit Valley College’s Business Resource Center. “Born in Australia, Patterson… read more
Hans E. Prehn created this plaster sculpture “Saw Mill,” financed by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, for the old post office. It was moved to the Cotton Museum in the early 2000’s and is not viewable in the front… read more
Ethel Magafan painted this mural, entitled “The Horse Corral,” in 1942 for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
This 1941 mural by Victor Arnautoff depicts “South San Francisco, Past and Present.” The 3-panel oil on canvas was funded by the Section of Fine Arts in 1941.
The mural “Harvesting Tobacco” by Roy Schat was commissioned by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds. Originally created for the then-new Whiteville post office, the work was completed in 1941. Since the post office’s relocation the mural is… read more
Philadelphia’s historic Southwark Station post office contains two Section of Fine Arts murals by Robert E. Larter. The oil on canvas murals were painted in 1938 and entitled “Iron Plantation Near Southwark – 1800” and “Shipyards at Southwark – 1800.”
“Philadelphia artist Walter Gardner (1902-1996) painted “The Streets of Philadelphia” in 1937 for the Spring Garden Post Office, one of many across the country built as part of President Roosevelt’s New Deal. The painting depicts a bustling street scene with… read more
The post office contains a 1942 Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “History of Squirrel Hill.” The oil on canvas mural was painted by Alan Thompson.
This oil-on-canvas mural, entitled “Builders of Salem,” was painted in 1942 by Andrew McD. Vincent, with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The original post office lobby was subdivided into Conference Rooms A & B when the building… read more
The Stockton Federal Building contains two 1936 murals funded by the Section of Fine Arts. This mural “Modern Transport of the Mail” by Frank Bergman is an 8′ x 12′ oil on canvas depicting the delivery of mail.
The Stockton Federal Building contains two 1936 murals funded by the Section of Fine Arts. This oil on canvas mural “Mail And Travel By Stage” by Jose Moya del Pino depicts stage coach travel in early California.
The Mary E. Switzer Building was originally built for the Railroad Retirement Board in 1940. The building was constructed in conjunction with the original Social Security headquarters, now the Wilbur J. Cohen building. The two stand across C street from… read more
This cast-metal portrait bust of Admiral Albert Gleaves by Belle Kinney was funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It was originally installed in the old Nashville U.S. Courthouse & Post Office building, but now resides at the Tennessee… read more
The Terminal Annex Federal Building contains two oil on canvas murals by Peter Hurd: “Pioneer Home Builders” and “Airmail Over Texas.” They were painted in 1940-1941 with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. From an entry on the website… read more
This bas relief “Cotton and Tobacco” by Paul Rudin was completed with the help of Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds in 1939. The Daily Record Newspaper office was previously the town’s post office.
The Transylvania County Library in Brevard, North Carolina houses a 1941 Section of Fine Arts mural commissioned for the city’s old post office: “Good News,” painted by Pietro Lazzari. The medium is glazed tempera. The mural remained in its original… read more
This oil on canvas by Edward Biberman entitled “Los Angeles – Prehistoric and Spanish Colonial” was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts at the time of the building’s construction. It was removed from the building when the post… read more
Lucien Labaudt painted two murals for what was then the Los Angeles Post Office and Courthouse, “Life on the Old Spanish and American Ranchos” (1938), and “Aerodynamism” (1941). These murals were both removed when the post office moved out of… read more
The historic federal building (now U.S. Bankruptcy Courthouse) in Tallahassee, Florida houses an example of New Deal artwork: an eight-panel mural titled “History of Florida.” Wikipedia: “The murals were funded by the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, a Depression-era… read more
The fresco “Steel Industry” by Howard Norton Cook is located in Pittsburgh’s historic U.S. Courthouse and Post Office. It was sponsored by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts. The work was installed in the building in 1936. Its… read more
The mural “Modern Justice,” located at Pittsburgh’s historic U.S. Courthouse and Post Office, was sponsored by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts. The work was painted by Kindred McLeary in 1937. However, the work has since been painted… read more
The oil-on-canvas mural “Pittsburgh Panorama” by Stuyvesant Van Veen is located in Pittsburgh’s historic U.S. Courthouse and Post Office. It was sponsored by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts in 1937.
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC by some of the finest American artists of the time. Kiowa artist James Auchiah studied mural painting with… read more