This Section of Fine Arts mural the “Barn Yard” was created by artist Zoltan Sepeshy in 1942. It is a tempera painting on wall board. A recent local article (pictured below) describes the mural: “The next time you visit the…read more
The historic post office building in Natick, MA contains a Section of Fine Arts-funded tempera mural titled “John Eliot Speaks to the Natick Indians.” It was painted by Hollis Holbrook in 1937. The mural was restored in 2007.
The historic post office building in New Concord, Ohio houses an example of New Deal artwork: “Skaters,” an oil-on-canvas painting sponsored by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The work was painted in 1940 by Clyde Singer.
The historic post office building in New London, Ohio houses an example of New Deal artwork: the mural “New London Facets” by Lloyd R. Ney. The work, completed in 1940, was commissioned by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
The New Rockford, North Dakota post office contains a Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “Advance Guard of the West,” which was painted and completed in 1940 by Eduard Buk Ulreich. According to the project’s contract (dated Dec. 1, 1939)…read more
The post office contains a 1938 Section of Fine Arts mural by Albert Pels entitled “Development of the State Normal School.” Normal IL is the home of Illinois State University, formally the Normal School, a school for the education of…read more
“Indiana Farm – Sunday Afternoon” is a Section of Fine Arts mural completed by Alan Tompkins in 1938 for the North Manchester post office. The size of the mural is 9’6″ x 4′ and the medium is oil on canvas.
The historic post office building in Norwich, Connecticut houses an example of New Deal artwork: a Treasury Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “Taking Up Arms–1776,” completed in 1940 by George Kanelous.
The historic post office in Nowata, Oklahoma houses New Deal artwork. The tempera mural, entitled “Rainbow Trail,” was completed by Woodrow Crumbo and installed in the post office lobby in 1943, where it is still on display today.
“The post office “mural entitled ‘Baling Hay in Holt County in the Early Days,’ by Eugene Trentham is located on the south lobby wall above the postmaster’s door which is flanked by wood framed, glass-enclosed bulletin boards. The oil-on-canvas mural…read more
This 5' x 14' oil on canvas entitled "Winter Sports" was painted for the post office by Edward Morton in 1938. "The Oconomowoc mural, which was taken off of the wall in the 1970's and stored in the basement of…read more
The mural “The Stampede” by Tom Lea was painted for the historic former post office building in Odessa, Texas. The work, which has since been relocated to the city’s current post office, was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine…read more
This oil-on-canvas mural entitled “Long Horns” was painted by Frank Mechau in 1938. “Painted in muted green, gray, and brown tones, the mural depicts a cowboy driving a herd of longhorns. The cattle occupy almost the entire foreground of the…read more
The post office contains a 1941 Section of Fine Arts mural “Grand Council of 1842” painted by Richard West. This work is a work having a rather flat perspective by West depicting the Grand Council of 1842, probably 1843 which…read more
Harold Egan’s “The Richness of the Soil” was completed in 1939 for the Okolona, Mississippi post office. It was ordered painted over by the postmaster within days of its installation, for reasons that are not entirely clear, but most likely,…read more
The Section of Fine Arts sponsored a mural to be painted for the new Onawa, Iowa post office. The work, entitled “Soil Erosion and Control,” was painted by Lee Allen and installed in the post office in 1938.
The historic post office building in Orrville, Ohio houses an example of New Deal artwork: the mural “Judge Smith Orr and Robert Taggard Planning the New Settlement of Orrville,” by Aldo Lazzarini. The work, completed in 1937, was commissioned by…read more
The post office contains a Section of Fine Arts mural “Farm Life” painted by Robert E. Larter in 1940. This depicts 2 seasons of farm work with the man on the left chopping wood with a hat and coat, the…read more
“At the end of May 1941 a custom made mural, executed in egg tempera, was hung in the Oxford Post Office. Mordi Gassner, a mural and portrait artist from New York was awarded a contract to paint a mural on…read more
A large oil-on-canvas mural hangs at one end of the lobby of the Oxnard central post office on A Street. It was presumably commissioned by the Section on Fine Arts of the Treasury Department, which built the post office in…read more
The 4′ x 15′ oil-on-canvas mural “Lovers’ Point” depicts an idyllic beach scene. The work by Victor Arnautoff was funded by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts and installed in the lobby of the historic Pacific Grove post office in…read more