1 2 3 4 5 6
  • Alcorn State University: Lanier Hall - Lorman MS
    PWA approved project X1373 for a college dormitory for the HBCU Alcorn State University 9/16/1938. Construction began 12/18/1938 and was completed 8/19/1939. The Colonial Revival brick building is extant and remains in use. Architects Carl L. Olschner and Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the dormitory and Flint-Jordan Construction Company erected the hall. The cost was $63,636.
  • Ames High School - Ames IA
    The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (Public Works Administration) funded the construction of the Ames High school. Today, the building serves as the Ames City Hall.
  • Arkansas State University Business Building - Jonesboro AR
    Constructed in 1939, the Science Building of Arkansas State College (now the Business Building of Arkansas State University), was one of multiple New Deal projects on the college campus. In 1936, Arkansas State College added a Reserve Officers Training Corps. With this new addition, the program needed a building to have classes. Talk for the new building began in the summer of 1937 when the Board of Trustees began planning how the funds should be budgeted for the project. The building was built as part of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works project as part of the New Deal...
  • Auditorium/Elementary Building - Pachuta MS
    Penn Jeffries Krouse was the architect for the 1936 one-story school building constructed as Public Works Administration project 1153. A loan of $17,000 and grant of $13,909 was approved 9/25/1935 to construct and equip the school building. Construction began 4/6/1936, and was completed 10/24/1936 for a total of $30,926.
  • Berwyn Health Center - Berwyn IL
    This monumental building was constructed in 1939 for  offices of the Berwyn Township’s Public Health District.  It was funded in part by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (i.e., the PWA). It was designed by Berwyn resident Vladimir Novak and is listed on National Register of Historic Places.
  • Cabby O’Neill Gymnasium - Jasper IN
    The facility served as Jasper (Indiana) High School Gym, 1939-1977 and Jasper Middle School gymnasium until 2009. It was named for the coach of the 1949 Jasper High School State Championship basketball team in 1984. It is still owned by the school corporation after the middle school moved, the building is now used for community activities. The facility hosted the high school teams in 2010 and 2011 after the roof of the 1977 gym collapsed.
  • Cabot Village School - Cabot VT
    The Public Works Administration and the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works funded the construction of the school building and athletic facilities for the Village School in Cabot, Cabot School District. "The school is in the residential section of the town and replaces an inadequate two-story condemned wooden building. There are five classrooms, a library, domestic science room, principal's office, and teachers' rooms. The walls are insulated. It was completed in October 1938. The construction cost was $36,434 and the total project cost was $39,903." The school was designed by Freeman, French and Freeman of Burlington. Docket No. Vt. 1059-DS. The building currently houses...
  • Calhoun School - Laurel MS
    The Calhoun school was constructed 1939 as project x1289. A PWA grant of $13,622 was approved 9/13/1938. Construction began 12/16/1938 and was completed 7/13/1939 at a cost of $28,909. Architects were Landry & Matthes. The school was demolished in 2007.
  • Carolina Consolidated School (former) - Nettleton MS
    Public Works Administration project 1251 was for Itawamba County school construction. The project for the Carolina Consolidated School near Fulton was approved January 1, 1934 in the amount of a $4,370 loan and a $1,860 grant. Construction began June 20, 1934 and was completed September 12, 1934 for a total cost of $8,003. The former Carolina community school was destroyed in 1932. The building remains in use as the Carolina Community Center and regular activities are held in the building.
  • Carrie Stern Elementary School - Greenville MS
    The Georgian Revival style elementary school completed September 9, 1939 was described that year as a "school of tomorrow" by the Democrat-Times. The interior was primarily Art Deco and Streamlined Moderne (MDAH) to reflect modern ideas of teaching. Funded by the city and PWA funds, estimated cost was $151,000.
  • Carthage Elementary School (former) - Carthage MS
    The Colonial Revival elementary school was designed by James Manly Spain as Proj. No. Miss. 1233-DS, funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. Construction began 12/30/1937 and was completed 9/23/1938. The Public Works provided a grant of $42,924 toward the total estimated cost of $95,454 . The "I" shaped brick featured a 1-story front and a 2-story rear portion, which contains the auditorium. Tuscan columns support the recessed front entrance, which features an arched fanlight above the wood double-leaf wood doors. It was converted to a community center in 2012 and is part of the Carthage Historic District.
  • Catchings Consolidated School Additions - Delta City MS
    A new auditorium/gymnasium was added to the existing Catchings school as PWA project 1288. Architects Hull & Drummond designed the alterations and additions. A $9,000 loan and a $9,163 grant were provided. Approval was received 9/13/1938, and construction began 12/8/1938. The additions were completed 11/2/1939 for a total of $20,386. The name of the town was changed to Delta City sometime during the late 1940s.
  • Central High School Auditorium and Gymnasium - Vicksburg MS
    The addition of an auditorium and gymnasium, since demolished, was completed for the 1924 Central High School building, along with improvements to the athletic field and athletic building. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the additions in 1936. Public Works Administration project 1148 was approved 7/21/1936 for $34,363 grant. Construction began 12/21/1936 and was completed 11/18/1937 for a total cost of $78,366.
  • Childress High School Gymnasium - Childress TX
    Construction of the Childress High School Gymnasium building was enabled by Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1939. The building is a two-story rectangular plan, front-gabled Italian Renaissance style building with two flat-roofed wings. Additional architectural details can be found at the NRHP reference below.
  • City Hall - Sullivan MO
    Sullivan's municipal building was completed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in 1937 and served as City Hall, police department, and jail as well as the town's auditorium. While the police department has moved, this New Deal building continues to serve as Sullivan's City Hall as well as a jail and public auditorium and gymnasium. The gymnasium/ auditorium is located on the south side of the building; the jail is on the west side in the basement.  
  • City Hall (former) - Coalinga CA
    This former City Hall at the corner of 6th and Elm was erected in 1939 as a Federal Administration of Public Works Project (No. Calif 1905 F). This building has been replaced by a newer city hall next door. The city of Coalinga suffered a devastating earthquake 5/2/1983 which destroyed most of the commercial buildings downtown. Amazingly, this building has survived and has retained much of its original character.
  • City of Charleston Fire Station No. 6 - Charleston WV
    One of several fire stations built in the City of Charleston under the New Deal.
  • Civic Center and Armory - Laurel MS
    The Art Deco civic center and armory was Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1206. Designed by Edgar Lucian Malvaney, it was approved 10/24/1036 and completed 11/10/1937. The PWA allotted a grant of $51,226 toward the completion cost of $110,575. A bond sale was held to raise funds for the city's share of the project. The building was demolished in 1975.
  • Clay Street School Repairs and Alterations - Vicksburg MS
    Public Works Administration project 1337 provided repairs and alterations to both Clay Street School and Carr High School in 1939, along with construction of two new school buildings.
  • College of Charleston Student Activities Building/Gymnasium - Charleston SC
    On 27 October 1937, the Radcliffe-King House was pulled down for the new College of Charleston Student Activities Building/Gymnasium building. The new building was funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, and was designed by Simons & Lapham, a well known Charleston, South Carolina architectural firm, which participated in may New Deal projects. The building included some rooms for dorms for out of county basketball players who attended the    College of Charleston. See Blevins (2001): https://livingnewdeal.org/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/5-1524db4e8f93549db7fec5d73ae429b8/2018/01/CofC-Gym-pages-98-101.pdf In 1994-1995 the building was renovated. The gymnasium’s rubber basketball floor was removed for a modern floor, an indoor walking track was suspended from the ceiling,...
  • Collin County Jail Remodel - McKinney TX
    Collin County Jail was erected in 1880. The two-story Collin County Jail features quarry-faced, ashlar limestone masonry construction and exhibits detailing and massing characteristic of the High-Victorian Italianate style. Two-tiered pilasters mark the slightly projecting central bay. This bay features a low-pitched pressed-metal pediment above the top floor and a stone panel engraved with "Collin County Prison" above the double-door, front entrance. The jail was vacated when new facilities were completed in 1979. Texas State Historical Marker: Completed in 1880, it was modified in 1938 with Funds from the Federal Public Works Administration. Plaque on building: Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Franklin D....
  • Collinsville Consolidated School (former) - Collinsville MS
    Collinsville school was Public Works Administration project w1106. Constructed with a $10,000 loan and $8,181 grant, the project was approved 10/24/1936. Construction began 1/11/1937 and was completed 6/12/1937. In a 1999 interview with Collinsville resident Malcolm Moore, Moore reported "CCC boys built the brick school building that stands today" (Harrison, p. 152). The building is in use today as a private industry following further consolidation and close of the school in the 1960s.
  • Connors State College: Russell Hall - Warner OK
    The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (a.k.a. Public Works Administration) provided funding toward the construction of Russell Hall at Connors State College in Warner, Oklahoma. The 2-story structure houses a dormitory and is designed in Georgian Style. It is located on the east side of the Connors State campus, a two-year community school. Given the time of its construction and operation, the dormitory possibly housed some of the students receiving flight training from 1942, during WWII, with actual flying at Hatbox field about 15 miles north in southern Muskogee. Russell Hall continues to be utilized as a dormitory.
  • Consolidated School - Holly Bluff MS
    Architect Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the Holly Bluff school building, constructed in 1939 as PWA project 1271. It was approved 7/27/1938 and construction began 10/17/1938. It was completed10/12/1939 for a total cost of $57,305 with PWA funding a grant of $25,515. Bonds were issued in the amount of $25,000 for the remainder. Perry Construction Company built the new school, Paine Heating and Tile Company provided heating and plumbing, and Fatheree Electric Company completed the wiring. The building was dedicated and opened to the public October 7, 1939 and final inspection was made later that month by the architect, school supervisors,...
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College: Ellis Hall - Wesson MS
    Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1178 constructed the Faculty House (now used as the Girls Honor Dormitory), and the Chapel Building (now known as J. M. Ewing Administration Building), for Copiah-Lincoln Junior College, known locally as Co-Lin. A $36,000 grant toward total expenditures of $80,000 were approved 11/17/1936. Construction by the I. C. Garber and Son company began 2/15/1937. Architects for the project were Hull and Drummond. Construction was completed 10/14/1937. The Faculty House was first unit in the $80,000 building program for the college. Copiah and Lincoln Counties each appropriated $22,500 toward the cost. Members of faculty began moving in...
  • Corcoran Union High School - Corcoran CA
    Corcoran Union High School was constructed in 1939 through the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The facility has since been expanded with numerous additions into a larger educational campus.
  • County Jail - Yazoo City MS
    The Yazoo County Jail was constructed as PWA Mississippi project 1087 with funding of $20,450 toward the $35,000 cost. J. R. Flint Construction Company built the new jail south of the City Hall on South Washington Street. R. W. Naef was architect. Decatur Iron & Steel Company of Alabama were recommended to provide the ironwork for cell construction. The new brick building was described as "modern", escape proof and fire-proof, and had individual cells with lavatory, toilet, shower bath, "and a good bed" (Yazool jail is now occupied, 1937, p. 1). The jail was demolished in 1998.
  • Courthouse Jail (demolished) - Bay Springs MS
    Public Works Administration, project W1208, constructed a two-story Art Deco style jail for the courthouse. A grant of $13,939 was approved toward the total cost of $30,977 6/22/1938. Contract was awarded 9/13/1938 and construction begun 9/22/1938. Architects were Krouse & Brasfield and builder was Currie & Corley. Construction was completed 1/19/1939. The jail and courthouse were destroyed in 1975.
  • Delta Primary Care Rural Health Clinic - Indianola MS
    The former King's Daughters Hospital was completed as PWA project 1243. The hospital was funded by a $14,400 grant approved 6/22/1938. Contracts were awarded to S. J. Aswell for construction and construction began the same day. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the one story structure of hollow tile and stucco, 107 feet width and 77 feet length . It was located off Hwy. 82 to be easily seen, yet far enough away to diminish traffic noise. It accommodated a maximum of 27 patients and reports vary the total cost between $32,000 and $40,000. It was completed...
  • Delta State University Improvements - Cleveland MS
    Federal aid from the Emergency Relief Administration to match $200,000 appropriated by Mississippi legislature was awarded to repair and improve the six state universities and colleges. Delta State Teachers College received $15,595.20 for dormitory renovations, auditorium repairs, and painting other buildings. Complete interior renovation of two men’s dormitories began August 25, 1934, for an expected cost of $15,000 for new plumbing, lights, wall and ceiling plastering, and new woodwork. Hardee Hall, originally constructed 1912-1914, and Taylor Hall, constructed 1912-1914, were part of the Bolivar County Agricultural High School and among the first buildings for Delta State Teachers College. Hardee was...
  • Disposal Plant - Corinth MS
    The Public Works Administration project 1408 provided a grant of $20,250 for disposal plant for the city of Corinth. The project was approved 10/2/1936, construction started 1/18/1937, and was completed 6/12/1937 for a total cost of $46,505. WPA provided an additional $1,104 for a sludge bed and grading on site in September 1937 following the June completion of the sewage plant. The Corinth treatment plant was abandoned when the city built a new one in 1972.
  • Dormitory Improvements - Hattiesburg MS
    The Demonstration School was re-roofed by Gordon Van-Tine Company, and three dormitories were repaired and improved through PWA funds at Mississippi State Teachers College. Oden and Glenn were contractors, making general repairs and installing new toilets and bathroom facilities. Rear porches were screened, tile floors and marble bathroom walls were added to each of the six bath compartments in each of the two bathrooms per floor. The projects were funded for a total of $78,000.
  • East Stadium-Dormitory - Hattiesburg MS
    The East Stadium-Dormitory for what was then known as State Teachers College was completed 1939 with funding from PWA and college revenue bonds. It originally was built as a stadium and the men's dormitory was under the east stand of the stadium. It was project X1314 for a total cost of $140,000. The project was approved September 13, 1938 and completed November 15, 1939. Contractor was B. L. Knost of Pass Christian. The concrete building/stadium was on the east side of the Faulkner athletic field, seating 6,000. The dormitory housed 165 men and opened for move-in November 2, 1939. Mrs....
  • Electric Distribution Improvements - Okolona MS
    Okolona obtained electric power in 1935 through the Tennessee Valley Authority power plant at Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Funding to extend the municipal power system into the surrounding rural area was approved by PWA 9/25/1935. Project 1139 for a loan of $21,000 and grant of $17,042 was begun 3/9/1936 and completed 2/25/1937 for a total of $38,860.
  • Electric Power Plant and Distribution - Aberdeen MS
    Public Works Administration (PWA) 1203 approved a loan of $66,000 and grant of $54,000 for a new electric power plant. The project was approved 11/14/1935. Construction began 10/10/1938 and was completed 10/4/1939. The delay between approval and construction was due to the Mississippi Power Company attempting to prevent Aberdeen from securing the money from PWA to construct the plant and connect with Tennessee Valley Authority's power lines. It was dismissed in lower court and then upheld in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in April 1938. By July 1938, Aberdeen City Council offered Mississippi Power $60,000 to purchase their existing...
  • Elementary School - Port Gibson MS
    The one-story Colonial Revival brick building was constructed by a $14,318 grant from Public Works Administration approved 9/26/1938. Construction began 12/19/1938 and was completed 7/29/1939 for a total cost of $31,585. Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the building and it was constructed by Flint-Jordan Construction Company. It remains in use as a school. Replacement doors and windows have been installed, but the interior retains its floor plan.
  • Elementary School - Ripley MS
    Public Works Administration (PWA) project 1280 provided a grant of $16,411 for construction of a grammar school. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the 1-story brick school. The Daily Clarion-Ledger reported both the high school and the elementary school were constructed with this grant. The project was approved 8/10/1938, construction started 11/21/1938, and the project was completed 10/28/1939 for a total of $35,074. WPA provided an additional $3,640 for the grammar school to add landscaping, playground equipment, and sidewalks in February 1940.
  • Elementary School (former) - Monticello MS
    Public Works Administration project 4726 for an elementary school building was approved 3/21/1934 for a $20,000 loan and $8,232 grant. Construction began 6/18/1934 and was completed 5/29/1935. The Colonial Revival style building was designed by Edgar Lucian Malvaney and constructed by Currie and Corley. The former school was listed as a Mississippi Landmark and the Lawrence County Historical Society began work toward restoration and renewed use of the building.
  • Eugene Field School - Mexico MO
    With the help of New Deal funds, the school was built by by Epple Construction from Columbia, MO. The company built many of the schools in central Missouri at this time.
  • Eureka High School (former) - Eureka MO
    Architectural firm Bonsack and Pearce designed this building which was completed in 1934 by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The building originally served as the Eureka High School. At present, it continues to serve the community as headquarters of the Rockwood School District.  
1 2 3 4 5 6