The historic former Sugar House Station post office was constructed in 1939-1940 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is now privately owned. NHRP Nomination form: The May 7, 1936 edition of the Sugar House Bulletin reported a “rousing talk”… read more
The historic former Sweetgrass U.S. Border Inspection Station was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The facility was completed in 1936. Since replaced, according to the GSA, “The building was bought and relocated by a private company, and is no… read more
The Mary E. Switzer Building was originally built for the Railroad Retirement Board in 1940. The building was constructed in conjunction with the original Social Security headquarters, now the Wilbur J. Cohen building. The two stand across C street from… read more
The historic Terminal Annex Federal Building in Dallas, Texas was constructed during the Great Depression with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses examples of New Deal artwork inside, was constructed in 1936 and is still in use today.
The present Harry S. Truman Federal Building consists of two monumental halves. The first was built under the New Deal for the War Department in 1940-41 (and is still commonly referred to as the War Department building). When the War… read more
Constructed between 1937 and 1940, the U.S. Courthouse-Western Division is seventeen stories tall and at the time of its completion “was the largest federal building in the western United States. The post office, located on the ground and first floors, moved… read more
The one-story, brick Colonial Revival style post office was constructed in 1939. It is currently in use as the Chancery Clerk’s office. Details include a basement, semicircular granite steps leading to the entrance, cast iron railings, and a limestone frieze… read more
Constructed in 1935-6, this historic Beaux Arts federal building “originally housed the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, and served it as Tallahassee’s main post office until the early 1970s. In 1979, the courthouse was listed… read more
Like other public buildings from the 1930s, the design and construction of the Austin U.S. Courthouse were part of the federal construction programs enacted to reduce unemployment during the Great Depression. Most notable among the programs was the Public Works… read more
Now known as the Gene Snyder U.S. Courthouse and Custom House, the historic United States Post Office, Court House and Custom House in Louisville, Kentucky was constructed in 1931-2, before the advent of the New Deal. However, in “1936, with… read more
“Built in 1938 of limestone and granite, the three-story, 118,000-square-foot Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Peoria, Ill., was designed in the Art Moderne style, a streamlined look popular from the late 1920s through the mid 1940s. Public areas feature… read more
This New Deal Post Office in Beckley was built with Treasury Department funds in 1933.
Now an apartment building, the old Art Modern United States Courthouse and Post Office in Kansas City housed the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri until 1998. The GSA lists significant events in the building’s development: 1935:… read more
Baltimore’s third custom house was designed by the firm Hornblower and Marshall and completed 1907. The building was improved several times during the New Deal era, with notable projects including the addition of new passenger and freight elevators. The GSA… read more
This three-story example of Classical Revival architecture was designed by Edgar Love; Miller, Martin & Lewis. The building, which was constructed and completed in 1936 and which no longer houses a post office, became listed on the National Register of… read more
The historic former post office and federal courthouse building in Florence, South Carolina was constructed during the early 20th century and received a large addition constructed during the 1930s with federal Treasury Department funds. The extension and remodeling work was… read more
New Deal funds enabled an addition to the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Muskogee. “The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is an excellent example of the Classical Revival style. Containing five floors plus a basement, the building gives the… read more
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in San Juan was built in 1914 with a New Deal-era addition constructed in 1938-1940. Now known as Jose V. Toledo Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse,… read more
The Great Falls Post Office and Courthouse was built in 1912. It was designed by James Knox Taylor and reflects Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals architecture and Second Renaissance Revival architecture. A New Deal extension was completed in 1938… read more
Designed by Henry O. Whitfield in 1915, the U.S. Post Office and Office Building underwent a large expansion during the New Deal. “In 1936 the Treasury Department designed two 3-story wing additions for the main (south) side of the building…. read more
Two major improvements were made to the U.S. Treasury Department building in 1933-34, using funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA) and under the supervision of the newly created Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. The first major improvement… read more
The Department of the Interior was the first federal building in Washington, D.C. fully authorized, designed, and built under the Franklin Roosevelt Administration. It was the brainchild of Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes, probably the most powerful member of… read more
The historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station at since-demolished Union Bridge in Calais, Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The facility, located by the river on Todd Street, was completed in January 1939. The facility, since altered, was… read more
The Treasury Department funded the construction of the United States Post Office in Jacksonville TX. The building is now the Landmark Event Center. The 1933 Jacksonville Post Office is a significant example of the small town post office designs produced by… read more
Cleveland’s historic University Center Station post office was constructed with federal funds in 1935-6. Designed by R. Stanley-Brown, the building houses examples of New Deal artwork.
St. Louis’s historic University Station post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the Great Depression. The building was completed in 1938 and is still in use today. A New Deal mural, “The Louisiana Purchase Exposition,” hangs inside.
Morton’s historic former post office building was constructed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork (since relocated), served as a post office until the 1970s. It now serves as the… read more
Originally the post office, this building was constructed under Treasury Department supervision during the New Deal: “The Wappingers Falls Post Office is an architecturally and historically significant public building, deriving exceptional significance from the role that President Franklin D. Roosevelt… read more