Nina de Brennecke created three carved mahogany bas relief sculptures: “Peaches,” “Dewberries,” and “Drilling,” in 1942 with funds provided by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts. They are viewable in the lobby of the historic Hamlet, North Carolina post… read more
Stefan Hirsch painted this oil on canvas mural, entitled “Scenic and Historic Booneville,” in 1943, in what was then the Booneville post office, with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The mural is viewable in the lobby.
The federal government under F.D.R. constructed a large new health research complex in Hamilton, Montana, with construction completed in 1940. The laboratory had originally been housed in a “two-story empty school building.” NIH: “After its successful work with spotted fever… read more
Haleyville, Alabama’s historic public library building was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the 1930s. The city has utilized the building as the community’s library since the post office moved out in 1970. The building also houses a New… read more
The public library building in Upper Marlboro used to be the town Post Office, built in 1936 – one of 1,100 post offices built by the U.S. Treasury Department as part of the New Deal. Today, it serves as the… read more
The historic former post office building in Magnolia, Arkansas was constructed in 1937. Soon after the New Deal mural “Threshing,” by Joe Jones, was completed and installed. The Magnolia post office was similar in design to that in Van Buren,… read more
What is now Sand Island consists of mostly reclaimed land. During the early 20th century it was known as Quarantine Island. Substantially enlarged during the F.D.R. era prior to World Was II, on it was the federally managed U.S. Quarantine Station, which was likewise expanded… read more
As part of war efforts, “on 26 February 1941, the FCC received funding to launch the ‘Foreign Broadcast Monitoring Service,’ the first name for FBIA. The service began its monitoring duties [in Washington, DC] at 316 F Street, NE. On… read more
Completed by Paul Rohland in 1940, “Dogwood and Azaleas” was originally installed in the Decatur, GA post office. The above photo dates to when it resided there, before being moved to the Federal Building in Atlanta.
The Treasury Department funded the construction of the U. S. Post Office and Federal Building. The Art Deco structure was built in 1935 at the cost of more than $225,000. The architect of record was Louis A. Simon of the Public Works Branch,… read more
This former San Francisco post office, originally known as the Rincon Annex, was built in 1939-40 and served as the major package transfer center through the city’s port – then the largest on the West Coast. The building was paid… read more
The monumental Moderne-style Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building, sometimes known as the William Penn Annex, was constructed under the auspices of the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1937 and 1941. Its exterior features multiple examples of New Deal… read more
The historic Rockdale County Courthouse building in Conyers, Georgia was constructed with federal funds as the community’s post office ca. 1939. The building housed an example of New Deal artwork, which has since been relocated.
Rome, New York’s Historical Society & Museum occupies what was originally constructed as the city of Rome’s post office in 1936-7. The building was funded with federal Treasury Department funds. A New Deal mural painted for the building now resides… read more
The former Rosebank Quarantine Station in Staten Island, New York was expanded during the F.D.R. era. “Building 1,” and “Building 3,” each completed in 1935, were constructed by Caye Construction Co. In 1939 additional work was completed: an addition to the “Junior… read more
"This is one of the more interesting post-office buildings in which the design avoids tradition. It is fireproof except for the roof, which is slow-burning construction. The exterior walls are a blue-gray brick trimmed with Indiana limestone and the spandrels… read more
Phone: (831)423-0109 Access Hours: M-F 5am-7 pm; Sat 5am-6 pm Constructed by the Works Progress Administration in 1936, this building is home to Henrietta Shore’s murals depicting Santa Cruz industry: “Cabbage Farming,” “Limestone Quarries,” “Artichoke,” and “Fishing.”
The historic Saunders Station post office at 1635 W Broad Street in Richmond, Virginia was constructed in 1937-8 with Treasury Department funds. The building was sold in 2015 to private interests, while the post office relocated a few properties away.
The Seaford Museum and Seaford Historical Society in Seaford, Delaware are located in what was formerly the community’s 1934 New Deal post office. “The Seaford Museum includes a changing exhibit gallery, a presentation room, a general information area, and a… read more
This mural “Local Industries” by Natalie Henry was completed with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1940. It was originally in the Springville Post Office, but it is now on display at the Shiloh Museum of Ozark… read more
Hans E. Prehn created this plaster sculpture “Saw Mill,” financed by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, for the old post office. It was moved to the Cotton Museum in the early 2000’s and is not viewable in the front… read more
Now known as the Springer Cultural Center, what was then the main post office for Champaign, Illinois received a New Deal-era addition. Actually, the building received an addition in 1929, though it was razed seven years later to accommodate the… read more
“This building to the west of the Capitol Building was built as Salem’s Post Office at a cost of $310,000, and was dedicated on October 16, 1937. It was the only marble post office west of the Mississippi River beside… read more
This oil-on-canvas mural, entitled “Builders of Salem,” was painted in 1942 by Andrew McD. Vincent, with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The original post office lobby was subdivided into Conference Rooms A & B when the building… read more