Originally constructed in 1809-1910 and privately owned, the U.S. government purchased what is now the Robert C. McEwen U.S. Custom House, completely renovating it for federal purposes, during the New Deal era. GSA: “The George Hall Corporation, a shipping company, owned… read more
The U.S. Customs facility located just north of Kalanianaole Ave on the west side of Kuhio St. was constructed with federal funds administered by the Public Buildings Administration of the Federal Works Agency. The building, then called the “Customs Warehouse,” was dedicated on… read more
The historic Federal Building—originally U.S. Post Office and Court House in downtown Orlando, Florida—was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was dedicated on April 15, 1941, and continues to serve as the downtown post office for Orlando.
The historic Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Station post office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was constructed in 1938 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in service.
The F. Edward Hebert Federal Building was built from 1935 to 1939 and is still in use. At the time it was built, the Treasury Department was responsible for all federal buildings. Formerly home to the New Orleans Main Post… read more
This red brick post office building was built in 1936 as Philadelphia’s Fairmount Station post office, and is now the Fairmount carrier annex.
“Constructed almost twenty years before Alaska became the forty-ninth state, the Federal Building in Anchorage symbolized the U.S. government’s commitment to the economic growth and development of the territory. Providing residents with a post office, courthouse, and other federal services,… read more
The Federal Building in Clarksville, Tennessee—originally constructed as a post office, was constructed during the Great Depression with Treasury Department funds. The design of the United States Post Office for Clarksville was released April 19, 1935, to be located on… read more
The J. Will Robinson Federal Building occupies the former Provo main post office building, constructed c. 1936. The building bears an unexpected cornerstone from 1965, owing to the building’s extensive renovation at that time. The building houses multiple federal agencies… read more
The Federal Building in downtown Flagstaff was constructed as the city’s main post office in 1935-1937. Plans had originally called for a combination Post Office and Federal Building, but they were dropped in 1931 by the Hoover Administration for lack… read more
This New Deal post office is now known as the Federal Building: MesaAZ.gov: “The Federal Building was built in 193[6-7] by the Federal Government Department of Treasury to become Mesa’s first 1st-class post office and one of the finest buildings… read more
This federal building, formerly known as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was originally occupied in 1907. According to the General Services Administration, a three-story, 100-foot extension was constructed to… read more
The historic 1907 Federal Building and United States Courthouse in Wheeling, West Virginia was expanded during the New Deal era with Treasury Department funds. Wikipedia: “The 1938 addition, built to accommodate a district courtroom, altered the symmetry of the building…. read more
Originally built as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse and now the Federal Building and Courthouse, the building was completed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project with Treasury Department funding in 1935. Construction took approximately one year (~Sept…. read more
This Beaux-Arts building was originally completed as the U.S. Court House and Post Office in 1906. James A. Wetmore supervised a New Deal extension of the building that was completed in 1934. The building was listed on the National Register… read more
The historic Elk City, Oklahoma Federal Building / post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was completed in 1936 and now houses the Elk City Board of Education.
The former Phoenix Federal Building and Post Office (now owned by ASU) was designed by Phoenix architectural firm Lescher and Mahoney in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Construction had begun in 1932, before the advent of FDR’s presidency (and thus… read more
What is now known as the C. F. Haynsworth Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse in Greenville, South Carolina was constructed during the Great Depression, completed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which formerly housed the main post… read more
Originally the Gadsden post office, this Beaux-Arts-style building was constructed in 1909. The post office was twice extended, first in 1915 and again, during the New Deal, in 1937. Louis A. Simon was the Supervising Architect of the second extension…. read more
The United States Courthouse in Columbia, TN, formerly the post office, is home to Sidney Waugh’s 1941 limestone sculpture, entitled “American Eagle,” and Henry Billings’s 1942 oil on canvas mural, entitled “Maury County Landscape.” Both were completed with funds provided… read more
The historic federal building in downtown Billings, Montana was originally constructed in 1913-4. The building was expanded in 1932 and again in 1940, the latter impacting the “rear central and southern portions of the building” and bringing with it an… read more
The Federal Building in Grand Island, NE underwent an extension during the early era of the New Deal. “Supervising Architect of the Treasury James Knox Taylor designed the new post office and federal building in Grand Island, authorizing the final… read more
An extension to the Newport News Federal Building’s main structure was built with Treasury Department funds. Construction was completed in 1941. The building, which is still in use, houses New Deal artwork. The original Newport News Federal Building was built in… read more