Delano Municipal Airport - Delano CA
Delano Municipal Airport was built during the New Deal with funds budgeted for the Development of Landing Areas for National Defense. It was built by the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) with the aid of the Works Progress Administration or WPA.
Local sources say the airport opened in April 1940, but the WPA project was approved in early 1941. It could be that the project was accelerated ahead of schedule, as was often the case with military projects by 1939-40.
The airport covers 546 acres and has one paved runway measuring 5,651 by 75 feet.
In late 1943, the airport was turned over...