Oxford, Massachusetts’s old Colonel DeWitt Fire Station, located on Barton Street, received modest assistance from Federal Emergency Relief Administration funds in 1934. The current status of the building is unknown to Living New Deal.
The structure initially housed community activities for the resettlement community in Eleanor. This is a long U-shaped side gable building designed in a roadside colonial design. It features double chimneys and had a center light tower that no longer exists.
The Tudor-style community house was constructed in 1935 by FERA. “A stone-veneered building with false half-timbered gables, very similar to the community houses in Grenada and Winona” (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory database Fact Sheet). The… read more
Town Report, 1934: “We call your attention to several E.R.A. projects which have materially affected the appearance and condition of out town. The elimination of the open culverts on Concord Road have greatly improved the general appearance and also relieved… read more
The Crossett Experimental Forest is located about 11 km south of the town of Crossett in Ashley County, Arkansas. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration began the project in 1933 with “13 miles of pick-and-shovel-built FERA roads” (Reynolds). Firelines were built… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) conducted multiple work projects at Crowe Park in Maynard, Massachusetts in 1934, including removing rocks and stumps; grading land for parking space; painting its grandstands; and constructing tennis courts. In 1935 F.E.R.A. labor “erected… read more
“Cumberland Homesteads is a community located in Cumberland County, Tennessee, United States. Established by the New Deal-era Division of Subsistence Homesteads in 1934, the community was envisioned by federal planners as a model of cooperative living for the region’s distressed… read more
Work had been done on the Alamo grounds in 1934 under the Texas Relief Commission which had been established in 1933 by Governor M.A. (Ma) Ferguson and used Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) funds. A marker confirming this work is… read more
The Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter was built in 1936 by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) on the Ashland Ranger District of the Rogue River National Forest. The structure is significant for its association with the CCC activities in… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) furnished the cost of labor for the construction of a dike in Hatfield, Massachusetts. The project was started Nov. 29, 1933 by the C.W.A. Grading, loaming, and seeding… read more
A Boston Public Works Department report cited Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) labor as conducting the following work: “Repairs to fender piers of Dorchester Avenue Bridge.” The bridge spanned Fort Point Channel.
A Boston Public Works Department report cited Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) labor as conducting the following work: “Work of splicing piles, replacing decayed pipe caps, stringers, planking, etc., was done at Dover Street Bridge, on both fender piers. Both… read more
The town’s annual report from 1934 reports that: “The Federal Emergency Relief Administration aided greatly in improving our school buildings and grounds… The Duck Cove building was painted inside and outside and the roof shingled.” The Duck Cove school building… read more
One of the original program markers from 1937, installed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The West Virginia historical marker program began in 1934 with the beginning research for the markers with the intention of placing markers around the state to… read more
In 1933 the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) furnished the labor for the installation of four light bulbs per classroom in what was then known as the East School. The next year the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) undertook repair… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) carried out pavement repair and other unspecified improvements to a long segment of Eastern Avenue, from Bunker Hill Road to Queens Chapel Road. This road was paved with “temporary… read more
In 1935 F.E.R.A./W.P.A. labor painted Framingham’s Edgell Library, and conducted plaster repair and woodwork varnishing. “On the outside the doors, sash, and some of the stone masonry were painted, and the rain water conductors were replaced or repaired.” The W.P.A…. read more
The historic El Monte Clubhouse in Ogden, Utah was constructed as part of a New Deal project by Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). These agencies preced the Works Progress Administration (WPA), to which the building… read more
A Boston Public Works Department report cited Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) labor as conducting the following work: “The Election Department building, at the corner of Broadway and Dorchester avenue, was repaired.” The building is no longer extant.
“One of the highlights of the School Department this year has been the transformation of the Grammar School. With the assistance of an E. R. A. project and a special allotment from the State School Fund we have been able… read more