2-acre “lake” impounded by Earth Dam (N-S) with small concrete spillway. Small frame square building with hipped roof, presumably preprocess, SW of spillway. Small open picnic shelter with hipped roof, NE of dam (may be of Lake Vintage). Similar to… read more
Some of these buildings may pre-date the New Deal, but between 1933 and 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) engaged in considerable lumber milling activity while encamped here, and weekly built some of the sheds, at least (They built lumber… read more
Stone walls, wood proches. Clark State Forest is one oldest, established in 1903. This building, constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935, probably replaced the old administration building constructed in 1905 at this site.
School foundation, from 1934, remounts in a celery now adjacent to I-65. On one consorts foundation a more rebuilt picnic shelter has been erected (Gabbled, open-sited). Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 513 OCCUPIED CAMP S-51 in May 1933, along with… read more
The Clear Creek Outdoor Education Center is the Los Angeles Unified School District ‘s residential science school located in the Angeles National Forest. It is based at a former CCC camp F-133 Company 903 established 5/16/1933 for the development of… read more
The following is an excerpt from an interview with Abe Boehm, a CCC enrollee (Company 3740) stationed at Camp Clear Lake in northeastern California between February and June of 1937: “I must have worked on the Clear Lake dam for… read more
Clear Springs Recreation Area lake was constructed between 1935 and 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The lake retains its original design even though restoration work has been done on wooden shoring and spillway. The picnic pavilion was constructed in… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1597 was active at Clifty Falls from November 1933 until 1938. The CCC built roads, trails, gatehouses, shelters, barns, and more. To enhance the outdoors experience projects exhibited designs that were rustic and harmonious with… read more
The Saddle Barn was completed in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers. The style of the barn is classified as Parks Rustic. The barn was damaged during a tornado in 1974 and was later remodeled into a nature center.
CCC laborers completed two stone arched bridges at Clifty Falls. The first one was completed in 1936 and crosses Dean’s Branch. The bridge has 2′ high stone walls spanning the length of the bridge.
The Lilly Memorial Lookout was completed in 1936 by CCC laborers. The picnic area contains a stone seat that stands 4′ high. The picnic area also contains 18″ stone fences.
CCC laborers completed two stone arched bridges at Clifty Falls. The second bridge was completed in 1936 and crosses Little Clifty Creek.
Originally known as the Saddle Barn, this building was completed in 1935 by CCC laborers. The style of the barn is classified as Parks Rustic. The barn was damaged during a tornado in 1974 and was later remodeled into a… read more
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse at Clifty Falls was completed by CCC… read more
The CCC laborers completed the picnic site in 1936. The site contains stone walls surrounding the picnic benches.
The Shelter House is located at Clifty Falls. It was completed by CCC laborers between 1935 and 1936. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The south gatehouse at Clifty Falls was completed by CCC… read more
In operation from Dec. 9, 1933 to Jul. 30, 1941, C.C.C. Camp Filley conducted extensive development work in the Cockaponset State Forest in Middlesex County, Connecticut. Camp Hadley, Company #2101, also operated on this site, from Sept. 5, 1935 to Apr…. read more
Colonial Parkway is part of the National Park Service’s Colonial National Historical Park. It is a scenic 23-mile (37 km) parkway linking the three popular attractions of Virginia’s Historic Triangle of colonial-era communities, Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown. Different portions of the… read more
“The Devils Kitchen Picnic Shelter in Colorado National Monument was designed by Harvey H. Cornell, Jerome C. Miller and Kenneth M. Saunders of the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Design in 1940. It was built by workers from… read more
“At the far edge of western Colorado is Colorado National Monument, an area of water-sculpted sandstone, colorfully striated cliff walls, rock arches, high mesas and abundant wildlife. Cutting along the cliff side of this sunset-colored country is Rim Rock Drive,… read more
“The Saddlehorn Caretaker’s Residence and Garage are located at the intersection of Rim Rock Drive and Saddlehorn Loop Road, approximately 5 miles from the west entrance of Colorado National Monument. Both buildings are rectangular, one-story structures designed by the National… read more
“Built by the CCC in 1937, to accommodate the recreational needs of visitors to Colorado National Monument, the station is significant for its association with … relief programs during the Great Depression. It is a strong example of National Park… read more
“Significant for its association with the CCC and WPA, the district includes four good examples of National Park Service Rustic style architecture. The structures were constructed of locally quarried sandstone by the CCC with Emergency Conservation Works funding. The 1937… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out major work at Colossal Cave and the surrounding park north of Vail AZ (now a suburb of Tucson, but far to the east in the 1930s). They improved access for visitors to the… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did extensive improvements on Columbia Island in 1934-35. Construction of Memorial Bridge and the George Washington Parkway had made the island more accessible in the late 1920s. A HABS Survey describes the CCC’s work: “The… read more
“The primary attraction in the park continues to be Polk’s giant chain, which is estimated to have been over a mile long before flooding and erosion destroyed part of it. With an anchor weighing between four and six tons and… read more
“In 1936, with funding supplied by the Federal Government through an agency called the “Works Progress Administration” (WPA), and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Town of Mercer started work on the Mercer Community Center/Public Library. Constructed entirely of pine… read more
“With President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal Programs – such as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Public Works Administration (PWA) – helping to provide some of the jobs and lend some of the money construction, the last watery gaps… read more