Multiple New Deal agencies, including the Public Works Administration (P.W.A.), Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.), and National Youth Administration (N.Y.A.), were involved in dramatically developing and transforming what was then the Texas State College for Women (now Texas Woman’s University) in… read more
Located behind the Dance-Gymnastics Laboratory Building, the outdoor swimming pool (and accompanying brick entrance building) was constructed between 1928 and 1940 by the W.P.A. The W.P.A. contributed $25,000 toward the project. While the building is still extant, the pool itself… read more
Originally constructed as Hygeia Hall in 1936, what is now the Institutional Development building at T.W.U. was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The cost of construction was approximately $40,000. Hygeia Hall served as the “student health center… read more
Brackenridge Hall was completed in 1916. A fourth floor was constructed during the 1930s with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The building, since demolished, has since been replaced by the Brackenridge Student Union.
Texas Woman University’s original Austin Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. “Named after Texas hero Stephen F. Austin, the hall was constructed in 1936-37 on the site of the original “dorm row.”” The building is since… read more
Texas Woman University’s original Houston Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds ca. 1936-7. The building is since demolished; a building in the newer Lowry Woods Apartments complex on campus has also been given the name Houston… read more
The former Texas Woman’s University gymnasium was constructed with the assistance of Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) funds and labor. Located at the northwest former of N. Bell Ave. and Administration Dr., the W.P.A. contributed $40,000 toward the project.