The WPA replaced those school buildings that had been destroyed by the 1933 earthquake. This included: a two-story main building for classrooms and administration, a one-story science building with a cafeteria, a boys gymnasium, a two-story shop building, and auditorium…. read more
“The Barnum Hall Theatre was built in 1938 by the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA) and also served as the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium when it was first built. It was designed to be a cultural center to the Santa… read more
“The foyer of Barnum Hall displays a handsome tile mosaic fifteen by seventeen feet in size, called “The Vikings.” The mosaic, and the mural on the asbestos stage curtain [“Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla”], are the work of a… read more
In addition to the Barnum Hall Theater, several other WAP-FAP art projects dot the high school campus, including a 7′ high cast stone sculpture titled “The Viking” that stands on the patio between the Art and History buildings. The sculpture… read more
A 5′ x 5′ carved wood bas-relief depicting “Workers” is located in the library over the circulation desk. It was produced with FAP funds. The artist is unknown.
Originally painted for the library, this mural “Westward II” by Conrad Buff was relocated to the Barnum Hall auditorium. It is now awaiting a new location. It was painted in 1935, most likely under the WPA’s Federal Art Project like… read more
This 4′ x 3′ cast stone relief entitled “Comedy, Tragedy, Music” was produced by Olinka Hrdy in 1937 with FAP funds.