• Garces Circle Statue - Bakersfield CA
    The statue "Father Garces" is State Historical Landmark No. 277. From the LA Times, 7 May 1939, "Indians will unveil, a right reverend monsignor will bless, the statue of Padre Garces at Bakersfield, 2 p.m. today. Made by John Palo-Kangas on the Federal Art Project, it is State Historical Landmark Reg. No. 277, and represents the first white man to enter the Kern region. A Garces Memorial Committee made possible the statue and will conduct today's elaborate program." The sculpture is carved from Indiana limestones on a Carnelian granite base. The figure of Garces itself is 16'4" and with the base, the...
  • San Luis Obispo County Courthouse - San Luis Obispo CA
    In 1940, the San Luis Obispo County Courthouse was rebuilt by the New Deal on the site of the original county courthouse of 1851 and a Greek Revival courthouse of 1873.  The North Wing of the 1940 courthouse was in place before the older one was demolished to make way for the rest of the new structure (see historic photo, below).  The handsome building by local architects, Walker and Eisen, is a classic example of Civic Moderne, with fine detailing and bas-reliefs on the exterior (the condition of the interior is unknown to us).  It is a large edifice that almost...
  • La Purísima Mission State Historic Park: Mission Reconstruction - Lompoc CA
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out a complete restoration of the  Mission La Purisima in Lompoc CA, 1934-41.  It was an astonishing achievement, given the ruined state of the Mission and scarce historic sources to guide the work. The CCC agree to do the restoration if land could be secured to turn the site into a State Historical Park.  Donations of land by the Catholic Church and Union Oil Company did the trick, and the CCC went to work. From 1934 to 1941 CCC crews uncovered, restored and rebuilt 13 separate structures at the Mission.  The State Historical Park was...
  • Morcom Amphitheater of Roses - Oakland CA
    The Morcom Amphitheater of Roses – originally known as the Municipal Rose Garden – is one of the grandest city rose gardens in the country.  It began as a project of the Oakland Businessmen's Garden Club in 1930 and the main force behind it (and the later Berkeley Rose Garden) was Dr. Charles Vernon Covell, a dentist and member of the Garden Club. The New Deal played a vital role in building the rose garden, but it was not the Works Progress Administration (WPA) that did the work, as commonly thought. Instead, help came from the State Employment Relief Administration (SERA),...
  • Arroyo Viejo Recreation Center - Oakland CA
    Arroyo Viejo Recreation Center/Park was developed between 1936 and 1939 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), working with the Oakland Recreation Department.  The WPA funded the project for around $60,000 in 1935 (Chronicle 1935). The 16 acre site on Arroyo Viejo Creek was purchased by the city in pieces, starting in 1935.  The entire purchase cost about $36,000 (Post-Enquirer 1935). The property had belonged to the Japanese Domoto family, who operated a nursery there.  (An interesting sidelight is that Kenji Domoto went on to be a famous landscape architect) The work of creating a new park began with tearing down acres of...
  • Verdugo Hills High School - Tujunga CA
    "Located in the foothills at the north end of the San Fernando Valley, Verdugo Hills High School opened its doors in September 1939. The Administration and Classroom Building pictured here was constructed in 1948, and continue the Spanish Colonial Revival theme of the buildings erected a decade earlier." - https://www.laschools.org/employee/design/fs-studies-and-reports/download/LAUSD_Presentation_March_2002.pdf?version_id=1895945 "Much of the construction on campus was done by men working for the Works Progress Administration, a federal effort to train and employ men during the Great Depression. By 1939, there were 78 WPA workers building things on campus, including the football field, and going to adult school at Verdugo at night....
  • Beach Elementary School - Piedmont CA
    The original Beach School was built in 1913 but declared an earthquake hazard and torn down in 1934.  It was replaced in two phases: the main wing in 1936 and the rear classroom wing and auditorium in 1940 (PHS 2007). The new school included 8 classrooms, a kindergarten, offices, a health room and an auditorium. There had been three previous efforts to replace schools and temporary buildings at schools in Piedmont in the 1920s, but the bond issues lost.   After the school board sought and gained funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA), a new bond issue passed in December...
  • Temescal Regional Recreation Area: Beach House - Oakland CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the elegant stone Beach House at Lake Temescal Park, now known as Temescal Regional Recreation Area, part of the East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD).  When the EBRPD was created in 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and WPA were called upon to improve the first parks of the system, making them ready for public use.  Temescal Park opened to the public in 1936. The Beach House includes rest rooms and changing rooms on the ground floor and a large hall and offices above, plus a flagstone terrace and terraced garden behind. The WPA also...
  • Golden Gate Bridge: Veterans Boulevard Approach Road and Tunnel - San Francisco CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Veterans Boulevard approach road and tunnel to the Golden Gate Bridge (not itself a New Deal project) in 1939-40.  The roadway runs north-south across the Presidio of San Francisco, connecting Park Presidio Boulevard coming north from Golden Gate Park to Presidio Boulevard, running east-west, and on to the southern entrance to the Golden Gate Bridge.  There is an 800-foot tunnel in the mid-section of the approach road. Apparently, the original name of the roadway was Funston Avenue approach, which was changed sometime after World War II.  
  • Nevada City Courthouse - Nevada City CA
    "Originally constructed in 1867, the courthouse underwent expansion and renovation in 1900. It was drastically remodeled in 1936-37 by architect George Sellon, resulting in the existing WPA Moderne structure. An annex was constructed in the mid-1960s."