1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 273
  • Anchorage Museum: Carl Saxilde Paintings - Anchorage AK
    Two paintings by Carl Saxild are on display at the Anchorage Museum of History & Art in Anchorage, Alaska.  Saxild was one of a dozen artists recruited by the Federal Art Project (FAP) to capture the landscapes and cultures of the Alaska Territory (Alaska only became a state in 1958).  Saxild went to Alaska in 1937 but completed most of his paintings from sketches after returning to his studio in Massachusetts; so the exact date of the paintings are unknown. The untitled paintings are on display in one of the museum's main galleries. We do not know if the Anchorage Museum...
  • Park Improvements - Denali National Park AK
    Mount McKinley (now Denali) National Park, created in 1917, was substantially improved during the New Deal. Led by the National Park Service (NPS), roads, buildings, infrastructure and recreational facilities were added to the park. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funds for the Alaska Roads Commission (ARC) to complete the main road across the park and for the NPS to build the first park hotel near the train station. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked at the park for two summers doing extensive work in the park headquarters district and on park infrastructure .  At the time, the main access to the...
  • Kenai National Wildlife Refuge - Soldotna AK
    In December 1941, President Franklin Roosevelt created the Kenai National Moose Range on the Kenai peninsula of Southern Alaska. Roosevelt’s executive order came after years of debate over wildlife protection in this part of Alaska. The new preserve covered over 2,000,000 acres, around half the area of the peninsula, which had very few people at the time. Some of the land in the Moose Range was subsequently turned back to private development, particularly along the lower Kenai River and around what is now the town of Soldotna. In 1980, the Alaska National Interest Land Conservation Act created the present Kenai National Wildlife...
  • Talkeetna Village School (former) - Talkeetna AK
    The New Deal provided the funds to build the Talkeetna Vilkage school in 1936.  The Alaska Territory was managed by the Department of the Interior, which supported more schools for the territory. The money might well have come from a grant by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The school served grades 1-8 until the 1960s.  It now houses the Talkeetna Historical Society, which moved into the old school house in 1974 and has the records of its construction. 
  • Talkeetna Village Air Strip - Talkeetna AK
    The 1,300 foot long, grass landing strip in old Talkeetna Village was built by the civil aeronautics board (CAB) in 1938. As the use small planes became the primary means of transportation across Alaska, the federal government paid for many small airfields in the 1930s and 1940s. The landing strip is grass and is situated a stone’s throw from Main Street. Surprisingly, it is still in use even though a new state airfield has been built a few miles away. The Talkeetna Historical Society has posted an informational panel nearby that credits president Franklin D. Roosevelt with an executive order granting federal...
  • McKinley Park Hotel Artworks (Destroyed) - Denali National Park AK
    The McKinley Park Hotel at the entrance to Mount McKinley (now Denali) National Park  was built in 1937-38. with most of the funds coming from the New Deal’s Public Works Administration (PWA).   On September 3, 1972, the hotel burned down. Sadly, many artworks were destroyed, including 41 paintings by artists Arthur Kerrick, Antonio Mattei, Carl Saxild, Prescott Jones, Merlin Pollock, Vernon Smith, and others. These artworks were all done under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project (FAP), which hired unemployed artists to enliven public buildings.  
  • CCC Main Camp (NP-1) - Denali National Park AK
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did extensive work at Denali National Park for two summers in 1938 and 1939.   At that time, the park was smaller and called Mount McKinley National Park. As at other national parks, the Civilian Conservation Corps had an important role in the development of park infrastructure, administrative and recreation facilities. CCC enrollees lived in a main camp (NP-1) near the site of the present main visitors center at the east entrance to the park. They worked under the direction of the National Park Service, In 1938 the CCC enrollees constructed "...two employee residential buildings, now known...
  • Methodist Road - Westbrook ME
    The Portland Sunday Telegraph reported on FERA road work in the Westbrook community notes. "85 NOW EMPLOYED ON FERA WORK Eighty men and five foremen are engaged in work here under the new FERA setup which went into effect Friday. According to Mayor Rufus K. Jordan, local administrator, the work is progressing smoothly. Seventy men and four foremen are engaged in grading and lining out the Methodist Road, while ten workemen and one foreman are clearing the pasture of the City Farm. Work under this setup will run for four weeks, coming to an end Aug. 29." The town farm mentioned no...
  • McKee Bridge Picnic Ground (McKee Bridge Forest Camp): Riverbank Retaining Wall - Ruch OR
    In the Rogue River National Forest, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from Camp Applegate learned the techniques of masonry construction through various projects at the McKee Bridge Picnic Ground. A 200 foot long rock retaining wall along the riverbank was the largest masonry project. It separates the picnic grounds from the beach adjacent to the Applegate River. The wall, made of local bedrock and river rock, reinforces the terraced picnic area and provides stone steps to the beach as well. There are three staircases in this project. The retaining wall is five to eight feet high, adjusted as required by...
  • McKee Bridge Picnic Ground (McKee Bridge Forest Camp): Community Kitchen - Ruch OR
    The Community Kitchen Shelter is the largest Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built feature at the McKee Bridge Picnic Ground. The 18' x 35' structure demonstrates the rustic-style design work that CCC enrollees used in the development of many US Forest Service campgrounds in Oregon. During 1935-1936, CCC enrollees from Camp Applegate learned the carpentry and masonry required that went into the kitchen shelter, using local stone and wood. The entrance to the kitchen shelter faces the Applegate River to the south. That elevation highlights the low-pitched wooden roof covered in wood shingles, and use of parallel, flattened logs that enclose the...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 273