The camp for Harrison Experimental Forest research was constructed between 1935-1938 in Harrison County. The forestry research complex contained Rustic Style dwellings and offices, including laboratories, two residences–one of which was designed by New Orleans architect Gerhardt Kramer in 1938,… read more
The New Deal carried out a major renovation of the National Mall, the green centerpiece of Washington DC. Funding was provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA), labor power by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and supervision of the work… read more
WPA project 41146 approved $19,859 for “new construction, enlargement, alteration, and improvement of the building, including addition of paintings, installing of plumbing and electric facilities and other operating equipments and appurtenances to perform incidental and appurtenant work” (Half Million, 1940,… read more
Bedford Dwellings was the first of Pittsburgh Housing Authority’s construction of low-cost housing. Dr. B. J. Hovde, the administrator, announced the contract would be awarded to Ring Construction Company with the low bid for the 420 units at $1,173,000. The… read more
Public Works Administration project 1337 provided repairs and alterations to both Clay Street School and Carr High School in 1939, along with construction of two new school buildings.
The addition of an auditorium and gymnasium, since demolished, was completed for the 1924 Central High School building, along with improvements to the athletic field and athletic building. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the additions in… read more