At the same time as the New Deal completed the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, it extended the system of trails south from Rock Creek Park (a separate park unit) into the parkway. All such paths were converted to general purpose… read more
The city of Greenville sponsored the Works Progress Administration project to improve the high school athletic field. The field was graded and bleachers added with a capacity to seat 2,000. The cost of the project was $2,122 and employed fifteen men…. read more
In 1942, the Oakland Recreation Department dedicated the newly renovated Recreation House at Park Boulevard and Newton Street – now the Recreation Center at Francis Marion Smith Park – which was completely remodeled with the help of the Works Progress… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) made improvements to a segment of Kalmia Road NW, from Eastern Avenue to Georgia Avenue. This dirt road was given an improved surface: “Old material from replacement jobs is hauled to the [site], broken… read more
Two Civil Works Administration murals were installed at the Municipal Auditorium Murals in San Antonio TX. Titled, “Texas Basket Maker Indians at their Daily Tasks,” the murals were painted by Harry Anthony De Young and Gilbert F. Neumann. The murals for… read more
In 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) decided to diverge the Long Prairie River to address issues that were both economic and community-driven. Long Prairie and Osakis are two small, rural, farming communities in Minnesota less than 30 minutes from… read more
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration built a club house and tennis court, along with picnic structures. The club house survives in near original condition. The tennis court picnic structures have been updated over the years.