• Barnes Hall (Central Michigan University) - Mt. Pleasant MI
    Barnes Hall on the campus of Central Michigan University was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $119,250 grant. Construction occurred between October 1938 and 1939. "Barnes Hall started life as the dormitory wing of the new Student Union, known then as Keeler Union, which is now Powers Hall. Grounbreaking for the new student union occurred on October 31, 1938 when President Warriner turned the first shovel of earth. The building was funded through a Public Works Administration Grant, one of the programs of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal. The...
  • Powers Hall (Central Michigan University) - Mt. Pleasant MI
    Powers Hall / Keeler Union on the campus of Central Michigan University was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $119,250 grant. Construction occurred between October 1938 and 1939. "Powers Hall, which now houses the history department, has undergone several major changes since it was first built as the combination student union and first men's residence hall on campus. Although the outside looks nearly the same, the inside would be completely unrecognizable to its original inhabitants. ... The building was funded through a Public Works Administration Grant, one of the programs...
  • Stockwell Hall (University of Michigan) - Ann Arbor MI
    The University of Michigan's Stockwell Hall was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. "The building expansion plans of the University gained impetus in September 1938, when announcement was made of a grant by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (PWA), making possible a new $1,000,000 dormitory for women. The offer "in the amount of 45 per cent of the cost of the project upon completion …, but not to exceed in any event, the sum of $450,000," was formally accepted by the Regents on October 18, 1938 (R.P., 1936-39, p. 714). The...