The front of the High School Sports Stadium in International Falls, MN, features a bold, concrete relief sculpture of 1940’s-era athletes created by a Minnesota-born sculptor named Evelyn Raymond. Raymond created the sculpture through the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art… read more
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed this bath house in 1941-1942. Located at Lake Carlos, the facility includes a concession area, restrooms, and storage. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with other 4 structures, in 1987. A 1992 National… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp White, which housed Company #106 at American Legion State Forest in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, operated from Dec. 28, 1933 to Jan. 1, 1942. C.C.C. Museum: This camp was named for Alan C. White, who was a leader… read more
The striking Art Deco-style Marinette County Courthouse was constructed in 1941-2, and its construction was tied to F.D.R.’s New Deal. At the time, a project of this scale would have likely proceeded with a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) grant; however the local… read more
The historic former post office in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania—now the Southwest Regional Police Department—houses an example of New Deal artwork: “Men of Coal and Steel,” painted by Michael Loew in 1942. The oil-on-canvas works were commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Dells of the Eau Claire County Park has significant New Deal resources in the areas of recreation, conservation, landscape architecture, and architecture thanks to the work of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Between 1935 and 1942, the CCC greatly enhanced… read more