In 1885, the Montana Territorial Legislature authorized the organization of a National Guard. Within three years its nine companies were headquartered in the territorial capital at Helena. Since that time Montana Guard personnel have been called up for State Active… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was quite active in Grand County, Utah. Four CCC camps were established in and around Moab, the county seat. The first was the Warner Lake Camp, F-20, in 1933 under the US Forest Service, which… read more
The NYC Parks website explains the provenance of this modest playground in Queens: “Between 1935 and 1938, Parks leased this property from the Gorbess Realty Corporation. In April 1938, the City of New York purchased one parcel of the property… read more
Between 1935 and 1942, “the WPA aided the Territory with funds to gradually enlarge and improve the field which was originally a dirt strip (source note 1).
In 1942, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a path on the east side of the main road up to a viewing platform. The CCC built the construction in stones that face west toward the Throne of the Patriarchs. It… read more
Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility is a U.S. Naval Installation on the Island of Kauai in Hawaii. Between 1941 and 1942 WPA funds helped enlarge the facility.