1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 109
  • Fort Hays State University: Larks Park Baseball Stadium - Hays KS
    This limestone baseball stadium, built by the Works Progress Administration in 1940, is currently owned by the city of Hays but operated by Fort Hays State University. It has been upgraded several times over the years and is now home to the Fort Hays State baseball team.
  • Civilian Conservation Corps Los Angeles District Headquarters (demolished) – Van Nuys CA
    In March 1936, the U.S. Army leased the Robert Morton Company building and property at 6001 Van Nuys Boulevard, Van Nuys, California, to serve as headquarters for the newly-created Los Angeles District of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  The Robert Morton Company had been a producer of pipe organs and closed its business in 1933.  After remodeling the interior, the building was dedicated to its new mission on May 21, 1936. The entire property was described as β€œone block square with a 222-foot frontage on Van Nuys boulevard, and extending 55 feet west to Vesper Street. There are two main buildings...
  • Fort Abercrombie Improvements - Abercrombie ND
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed replica barracks and other buildings at the Fort Abercrombie historic site. The buildings are still in use, but have been modified. According to State Historical Society of North Dakota, "After the fort was abandoned in 1877, fort buildings were sold and removed from the site. A Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in 1939-1940 reconstructed three blockhouses and the stockade and returned the original military guardhouse to the site. Major portions of the WPA project have been refurbished and the site reinterpreted."
  • Berkeley High School: Braghetta Bas Reliefs on Community Theater - Berkeley CA
    The entrance to Berkeley Community Theater on the interior courtyard of Berkeley High School is adorned by two cast stone bas-relief sculptures by Lulu Braghetta. On is female, with "Drama, Dance, Music" inscribed in relief, and the other is male, with "Poetry, Painting" lettered beside the figure.   The panels were paid for by the Federal Arts Project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1940 but not added to the building until its (delayed) completion in 1950.
  • CCC Camp Vale (former) - Vale OR
    Built in the summer of 1935 and operated through October 1940, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Vale served as the base for CCC enrollees working on the Vale Project's irrigation system. The Bureau of Reclamation's Vale Project involved construction of the Agency Valley Dam, located along the Malheur River and Willow Creek in east-central Oregon. At the dam's completion, the work of the enrollees at Camp BR-45/Camp Vale began. They finished the necessary means of furnishing irrigation water to area ranchers by building the lateral irrigation system to farm tracts in the area. These "soil soldiers," as the Bureau of Reclamation...
  • Centennial Work Center - Medicine Bow National Forest WY
    In 1939, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees constructed the Centennial Work Center in Medicine Bow National Forest near the small town of Centennial, Wyoming. CCC workers completed three buildings for use by the U.S. Forest Service, including an office, a dwelling, and a garage. Each building is a one-story log structure with a rubble base foundation. Work began in 1938, with crew members from the Mullen Creek CCC Camp (F-36-W) and Ryan Park Side Camp (F-22-W) cutting logs and laying the foundation for the site. Buildings were constructed by 1939,= and the landscaping was completed by CCC workers in 1940. Originally built to...
  • Virginia Tech: Hutcheson Hall - Blacksburg VA
    Virginia Tech's Hutcheson Hall, originally known as New Agricultural Hall, "was built in 1940 at a cost of $206,000," and was constructed as part of a larger Public Works Administration (PWA) project on the campus. It was part of a broader development of several buildings on its corner of campus that involved both the PWA and the Work Projects Administration (PWA). The building was sometimes referred to as "agricultural unit one," and was expanded in 1950 toward Smyth Hall.
  • Virginia Tech: Agnew Hall - Blacksburg VA
    Virginia Tech's Agnew Hall, originally known as the Home Economics Building, was constructed as a Work Projects Administration (WPA) project and dedicated in 1940. It was part of a broader development of several buildings on its corner of campus that involved both the WPA and the Public Works Administration (PWA).
  • Virginia Tech: Seitz Hall - Blacksburg VA
    Virginia Tech's Seitz Hall, originally known as the Agricultural Engineering Building, was constructed as a Work Projects Administration (WPA) project and dedicated in 1940. It was part of a broader development of several buildings on its corner of campus that involved both the WPA and the Public Works Administration (PWA).
  • Virginia Tech: East Campbell Hall - Blacksburg VA
    Virginia Tech's East Campbell Hall dormitory was constructed as part of a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. Also known as Campbell Hall's east wing, the structure was constructed in 1940; whereas Main Campbell Hall was built in 1930, prior to the advent of the New Deal. A plaque on the building credits the Public Works Administration.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 109