1 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 108
  • School Development - Silverton TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a "school addition and improvements" project in Silverton, Texas, that was completed in December 1935. The location of the schools is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Ledyard Bridge (replaced) - Norwich VT to Hanover NH
    The second of the (now) three bridges to be designated Ledyard Bridge spanning the Connecticut River between Norwich, Vermont and Hanover, New Hampshire was financed in part by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. The PWA supplied a grant of $8,697 for the project, whose total cost was $31,095 (according to a PWA document; other sources put it at $148,678; Living New Deal is unclear as to the discrepancy). Construction occurred between Oct. 1934 and Oct. 1935. The bridge was replaced in 1998. PWA Docket No. 9088-Vt.
  • Differential Analyzer (Mechanical Computer) - Philadelphia PA
    In 1934-1935, the Moore School of Electrical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania built a differential analyzer, an early type of computer. Designed by Oscar Schuck, it was the second of its kind – the first differential analyzer was constructed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1931. Funds and skilled labor (for example, electricians and instrument makers) came from the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). A government report from Pennsylvania described the differential analyzer: “The machine weighs 3-1/2 tons. It is approximately 30 feet long, 10 feet wide and 5 feet high. It contains...
  • Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Locomotive No. 50 - St. Louis MO
    In 1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) loaned the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad $900,000 for 16 streamlined cars, one diesel-electric locomotive , and enough "... to rebuild a steam engine to develop exceptionally high speed” (The Bangor Daily News, 1934). The Lady Baltimore and a similar locomotive, the Lord Baltimore, were favorites of the train-watchers; then, "... there came a day in August 1935, when the watchers between New York and Washington saw a new and strange sight as the Royal Blue sped past their bewildered eyes. Instead of the sharp staccato blasts of the Lord Baltimore’s exhaust, they heard...
  • Burke Mountain Roads - Darling State Forest VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built roads, hiking and ski trails, and recreation facilities on Burke Mountain VT.
  • Devil's Punchbowl State Natural Area - Otter Rock OR
    In the 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the Devil's Punchbowl day-use area for public use.  The improvements included picnic tables, fireplaces, restroom, drinking fountain, water supply, a foot trail and steps to the beach. The majority of these improvements have been repaired or changed over the years, but the popularity of this distinctive viewpoint remains. Visitors are drawn for whale watching and views of its distinctive geology.
  • Bismarck High School - Bismarck ND
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding for construction of Bismarck High School in Minnetonka, Minnesota. The New Deal facility was a replacement for a 1912 high school structure. The building is still presently used as Bismarck High School, with major additions in 1962-63, 1987, and 2018-19; this said, the exterior (along N 7th Street) and main lobby still retain the original character. Construction was partially funded as a federal New Deal project through the Public Works Administration (PWA), which allotted $308,700 of the $404,000 cost. It was the largest PWA project in North Dakota at the time of completion in...
  • Post Office (demolished) - Effingham IL
    The federal government financed the construction of a post office at the northwest corner of Fourth Street and Section Avenue in Effingham, Illinois during the Great Depression. Constructed at a cost of $79,800, the building bore a 1934 cornerstone and "opened to the public July 16, 1935." The building ceased serving as a post office in the fall of 1966, as the Post Office Department needed a larger space to conduct processing operations consistent with a sectional center at that time. The government was granted by the federal government to Unit 40 and the remodeled building became a kindergarten in 1967....
  • Community Building - Grand Canyon Village AZ
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted extensive development work at Grand Canyon Village, including construction of the Community Building, with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and under the direction of the National Park Service (NPS). The NPS CCC Walking Tour says this: "The two-story wooden building just to the west of the corral is the Community Building. The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Community Building, while the CCC and the National Park Service provided the labor. Begun in 1934 and completed in 1935, it replaced a structure in another location that had burned the year...
  • Hermit Road and Overlooks - Grand Canyon Village AZ
    The federal Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) built the Hermit Road in Grand Canyon Village in 1934-35.  The National Park Service (NPS) website says this: "Hermit Road and most of its associated overlooks and parking areas are historic, designed and constructed in 1934-1935 by the Bureau of Public Roads and the National Park Service." Hermit Road and its overlooks have some of the best views of the Grand Canyon on the south rim.  It is commonly thought that the overlooks and wall were the work of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), but it was the BPR and NPS. The road was modernized...
1 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 108