1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 108
  • Appalachian State University: D.D. Dougherty Hall - Boone NC
    The Dauphin Disco Dougherty Memorial Library, now known as D.D. Dougherty Hall, was constructed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) at what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College in Boone, North Carolina. The building was completed in 1935. Historic maps and modern imagery suggest that the building has since been expanded.
  • Water Supply - Asheville NC
    Two New Deal work relief programs: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) were responsible for a massive project to improve and expand the water supply for Asheville. In addition to a dam and accompanying facilities at the North Fork / Burnett Reservoir, the project included extensive pipe work. Asheville Citizen-Times: "Begun Under CWA In 1933, Resumed By FERA In 1934 With completion of the North Pork water line project by forces of the North Carolina Emergency Relief administration recently, the supply of water from the North Fork watershed has been doubled. The project consisted of the removal of eight...
  • North Fork Reservoir and Dam - Black Mountain NC
    Two New Deal work relief programs: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) were responsible for the construction of a dam north of Black Mountain, North Carolina, part of a massive project to improve the water supply for Asheville. Work at the site also included construction of a chlorination plant and caretaker's house for said. The status of the structures is unknown to Living New Deal. Asheville Citizen-Times: "Begun Under CWA In 1933, Resumed By FERA In 1934 With completion of the North Pork water line project by forces of the North Carolina Emergency Relief administration recently, the supply...
  • Barry-Baker Tunnel - Sausalito CA
    A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was established west of the Baker-Barry tunnel on the Marin Headlands, probably in 1934. Enrollees from this camp built the Baker-Barry Tunnel, a single-lane passage under the Marin Headlands, in 1935. The CCC camp closed in 1936, but the tunnel remains on Bunker Road in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.  It was extensively renovated by the National Park Service in 2016-17.    
  • Winter Sports Area - Union Creek OR
    The Union Creek Historic District on the upper Rogue River in Union Creek, Oregon, is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places because it is a fine representative of a type of rustic resort popular in the early 20th century and has been little altered since the 1930s.   There are almost one hundred buildings and other facilities in the Union Creek Historic District, almost all of which conform to the Forest Service plans of the 1920s and 30s.  Roughly a third were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1933 to 1942. CCC enrollees worked during summer...
  • Tulsa Zoo Stone Cabin – Tulsa OK
    The refectory building at the Tulsa Zoological Garden was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935. It was one of many New Deal projects undertaken in Oklahoma that “aimed to improve America’s public lands and parks” and “help lift the country out of the Great Depression.” The former refectory building has gone through many uses at the zoo and has recently been refurbished to serve as a public event space. “Originally designed as a refectory (gathering place to eat) this structure has served many purposes in its 86-year history. Once as a zoo entrance and concession area it also became...
  • Harris Beach State Recreation Area (Harris Beach State Park) - Brookings OR
    Harris Beach State Park was one of 45 state parks improved through the work of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees during the New Deal era. The CCC improvements took place there in 1934 and 1935. Only a seventeen-acre park at the time, the CCC workers undertook the early development of the grounds, providing picnic stoves and tables as well as services necessary for day use. While aspects of the park required replacement and reconfiguration as the acreage grew, the park became available to the public thanks to the CCC.
  • Alderwood State Wayside - Eugene OR
    Several years after the State purchased land from Lane County, Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees improved the Alderwood State Wayside. The work was conducted in 1935. As noted in the Oregon State Park's 1965 publication: "The facilities at Alderwood are not extensive, being a small area for parking cars, two foot-bridges, trails, tables and sanitary facilities, all constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps." Necessary maintenance at the wayside has resulted in replacement of some of the improvements but the basic lay-out remains the same.
  • Community Center (destroyed) - Lander WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) constructed Lander's believed former Community Center on Buena Vista Drive in 1934-5. The structure was destroyed by fire in 2012 and has since been replaced.
  • Girl Scout Little House - Casper WY
    The Girl Scout Little House at 1011 Bonnie Brae Street was constructed during the Great Depression with New Deal work relief labor. Approved as a Civil Works Administration (CWA) project, the Little House was constructed in 1934-5 and completed under the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA).
1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 108