• Post Office - Torrance CA
    The U.S. The Treasury Department funded the construction of the Torrance Post Office on Marcelina Ave. Congress allotted $63,800 for the project and construction started in February of 1935. The post office was completed later that year. "The building was part of an eight-building Works Progress Administration project built in the mid-1930s that included the post office, a civic auditorium, City Hall and library. The entire project was heralded around the country as an example of a new and wonderful civic center. The style of architecture is called moderne and the post office is the only building still being used...
  • Thomas Jefferson High School - Los Angeles CA
    Thomas Jefferson High School was one of many schools in Los Angeles, CA, that benefited from refurbishment funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) following the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake. One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Jefferson High School's 45-unit Streamline Moderne campus, designed by architect Stiles O. Clement, was completed in 1935. According the Los...
  • San Pedro High School - San Pedro CA
    San Pedro High School, which opened in 1909, was renovated with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. Designed by architect Gordon B. Kaufmann, the new Streamline Moderne buildings were constructed of poured-in-place concrete. The Administration and Language Arts Buildings are both now protected landmarks. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving...
  • Madera County Hospital - Madera CA
    The Madera County Hospital was built using Public Works Administration funds and Works Progress Administration labor. The PWA built building is now the headquarters of the Madera County Public Health Department. There was a bronze plaque inside the building where the entrance used to be indicating the date, 1935, the supervisors, and the architect Ernest J. Kump. 'It is a one-story building and provides an operating department of six rooms, an X-ray department of three rooms, a maternity unit of 10 rooms including two wards, a children's ward, a dental department of three rooms, nine men's wards, two solariums, an observation room, a...
  • George Washington Preparatory High School - Los Angeles CA
    George Washington Preparatory High School, which opened in 1927, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure that every member of the board agrees...
  • University High School Charter Renovation - Los Angeles CA
    University High School Charter, which opened in 1922, was renovated with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. The school's architectural style is distinctive, recalling Spain's Alhambra or the Romanesque of Northern Italy. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told...
  • Lindbergh STEAM Academy - Long Beach CA
    Lindbergh STEAM Academy (originally Lindbergh Junior High School) was rebuilt by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1935 after the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake destroyed the original 1930 structure. The school was designed in WPA/PWA Moderne style by D. Easton Herrald to resemble an airplane with the main entry, library, and administrative offices the nose of the aircraft and the classrooms the wings. Above the main entrance is a relief map of Charles Lindbergh's historic transatlantic flight. The 1933 earthquake destroyed hundreds of schools throughout Southern California. “On August 29, 1933, Long Beach citizens approved a $4,930,000 bond measure for the rebuilding...
  • Washington Middle School - Long Beach CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the reconstruction of Washington Middle School in Long Beach, CA, after the school was heavily damaged in the 1933 earthquake. The school reopened in 1935. According to the school's website, Washington Middle School was originally constructed in 1921 (with the addition of a shop building in 1926). The architects were W. Horace Austin of Long Beach and John C. Austin of Los Angeles. Curiously, the school history fails to mention the 1933 earthquake and the reconstruction paid for by the New Deal! Yet documents in the National Archives clearly state that the school was rebuilt...
  • Robert E. Peary Middle School - Gardena CA
    Robert E. Peary Middle School (formerly Gardena High School), which opened in 1907 in Gardena, CA, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of the PWA allocation, Board of Education member Arthur Eckman told the Los Angeles Times, “I am sure...
  • Eureka Municipal Auditorium - Eureka CA
    The large Eureka Municipal Auditorium was built with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1935-36.  While it retains the old name, etched in bas-relief above the entrance, the building now appears to be used as a gymnasium for youth basketball (2023). The building's design is Classical Moderne, with Art Deco touches.  The classical element is given by the two-story entrance with its 4 full and 2 half-columns (all fluted) and wide stairway.  Flanking the entrance are full-length, recessed vertical bas-reliefs in  abstract Art Deco style.  Two similar bas-relief columns appear on each side of the building.  The effect of...