• Bourne Bridge - Bourne MA
    The Bourne Bridge across the Cape Cod canal was built for the US Army Corps of Engineers, with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It was part of a very large project to improve the canal and add three bridges across it; the PWA allotment was $6,138,000 for the entire project.  (Short & Stanley-Brown 1939) The project began in 1933 and the bridge opened in 1935. The contractor was American Bridge Company of New York, New York and the engineering was done by Fay, Spofford, and Thorndike of Boston, Massachusetts (historicbridges.com) The Bourne Bridge won the American Institute of Steel Construction's Class "A" Award...
  • Washington Monument Renovation - Washington DC
    The Washington Monument, one of the most beloved memorials in the country, was completely renovated during the New Deal. No repair work had been done since the monument was finished in 1884 and the exterior had cracked and spalled, resulting in leaching of mortar and leaking through the walls. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant for the work in 1934. Soon, a tubular steel scaffold was erected, which completely covered the shaft of the monument. Workers repointed, repaired and cleaned the entire shaft from top to bottom. The work was completed in February 1935. The cleaning, pointing, and repair...
  • Hoover Dam - Boulder City NV
    Hoover Dam, originally called "Boulder Dam", is the anchor of the entire Colorado River water storage and management system.  It lies in Black Canyon (not Boulder Canyon) at the southern tip of Nevada, on the Arizona border, and creates the massive Lake Meade reservoir, the largest in the United States.  It was the first high-arch concrete dam in history, becoming the model for thousands of dams built round the world.  It was constructed under the US Bureau of Reclamation by a joint venture of 8 construction companies (called "The Six Companies"), led by Henry Kaiser and including Bechtel Corporation, Utah...
  • Long Beach City College, Liberal Arts Campus: Physical-Science Building - Long Beach CA
    Three buildings at Long Beach City College's Liberal Arts Campus (formerly Long Beach Junior College) were constructed with Public Works Administration (PWA) funding in 1935. The original campus was destroyed by the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake. The physical-science building was "constructed of steel frame and studding, providing approximately 24,000 square feet of usable floor area" (Short & Stanley-Brown, 1939). The building's status—extant or not—is yet to be confirmed. The English and language/social-science buildings were also completed with PWA funding at this time.
  • Abraham Lincoln High School - Los Angeles CA
    Abraham Lincoln High School, which opened in 1878, was rebuilt with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1934 and 1935. Architect Albert C. Martin designed the Moderne-style buildings, which feature murals and sculptures likely completed under the auspices of the WPA Federal Art Project (FAP). In January 1934, the PWA allocated $9,380,000 to the Los Angeles Unified School District for the rehabilitation of schools damaged in the severe 1933 Long Beach earthquake.  One hundred and thirty schools would benefit from the system-wide loan and grant, with 2,500 men to be employed in rehabilitation work over 21 months. Upon receiving news of...
  • Washington Accelerated Elementary - Pasadena CA
    The WPA made improvements to the school in the 1930s, constructing a new cafeteria and a one story frame, stucco building. They also made extensive ground improvements including: grading, landscaping, seeding, walkways, drives, walls, fences, etc. The Pasadena Museum of History explains the school's construction history: 1 of 27 schools in Pasadena Ca that were repaired, demolished, or reinforced by either the WPA or PWA following the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. 1884 Built somewhere on Washington St. 1909 Moved to a new facility at the current location on Raymond Ave. 1925 Rebuilt. 1933 Damaged by the Long Beach earthquake. 1935 Rebuilt by the WPA
  • Post Office - Whittier CA
    The New Deal post office in Whittier, California, was constructed in 1935 with federal Treasury Department funds. It was designed by R. L. Warren, with Louis A. Simon, one of the Roosevelt Administration's chief New Deal architects, serving as Supervising Architect. Neal A. Melick served as Supervising Engineer. The building is still in service, but the New Deal mural has been painted over during renovations.  
  • Beach Center Post Office - Huntington Beach CA
    In 1935, the U.S. The Treasury Department funded the construction of the Huntington Beach Post Office on Olive Avenue and Main Street. The Treasury bought the land plot on which the post office was to be built and allocated $52,000 for the building.  Today, the Huntington Beach Post Office is known as the Beach Center Post Office. The post office still exists and remains mostly unchanged architecturally. There is an identical building that was built in 1935 in Santa Paula, California. 
  • Griffith Park: Palo-Kangas Sculpture - Los Angeles CA
    Federal Art Project artist Uno John Palokangas (known as John Palo-Kangas) sculpted "Spirit of the CCC" (1935) for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) WWI Veterans Camp located at Griffith Park in Los Angeles, CA. Also known as "Iron Mike," the 10-foot Art Deco sculpture depicts a young man stripped to the waist and holding a shovel. World War I veteran Robert J. Pauley of Carmichael, CA, was the artist's model. Palo-Kangas told a reporter that the work would be called "Conservation of Man and Nature." President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the sculpture on October 1, 1935. During his visit to Los Angeles,...
  • Park Street Bridge - Alameda CA and Oakland CA
    The Park Street Bridge across the Oakland Estuary was built to connect the cities of Alameda and Oakland.  The Park Street approach is on the Alameda side; from Oakland the approach is from 29th Street. The bridge was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) when it was still called the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works and completed in 1935. It is a bascule-type drawbridge to allow ships to pass beneath (rarely used today); the operator sat in the small tower on the east end of the bridge.   The construction is riveted steel girder, cantilever style, done by MacDonald and...