• Museum of Indigenous People - Prescott AZ
    The Museum of Indigenous People was constructed 1933-1935 by relief workers employed by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA).  It is built of local fieldstone and flagstone in a sober, if romanticized, indigenous style. It was long known as the Smoki Museum after a local club of White businessmen who called themselves "the Smoki People" and dressed up as Hopi to perform native dances. After protests by Hopi, who disapproved of such imitations, the club stopped its dances and eventually disbanded.  The name of the museum was changed in 2020.   The museum collection evolved from native...
  • Roosevelt High School - Honolulu HI
    Honolulu's Roosevelt High School was constructed in 1935 with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. P.W.A. Docket No. 2633 T. H.  
  • Suspension Bridge - Jay Cooke State Park MN
    From 1934 to 1935, the Civilian Conservation (CCC) reconstructed a suspension bridge, spanning the St. Louis River, at Jay Cooke State Park.
  • Beltrami Island Project (CCC Camp Norris) - Roosevelt MN
    In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the Clear River Camp (also known as the Norris Camp), which served as the headquarters for the Beltrami Island Project.   The Project was part of a “pioneering experiment in relocation and land-use planning” undertaken nationally, through the Land Utilization Project (est. 1937). Under the Project, “farmers on cutover lands were relocated and the land was reclaimed by the CCC, whose enrollees went to work ‘developing and managing forestry, wildlife and recreational resources.’”   The Clear River Camp is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Big Lake CCC Camp Improvements - Cloquet MN
    From 1933 to 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted 304 acres of “white pine, Norway pine, Scotch pine, and jack pine.”
  • George Washington Middle School - Alexandria VA
    George Washington Middle School in Alexandria, VA was completed in 1936. It was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) with a grant of $300,000 made in 1933.   It was originally the George Washington High School, which replaced two prior high schools in the city, Alexandria HS and George Mason HS. The building is a good example of brick Moderne architecture, with low-relief column between the windows and a monumental entrance flanked by columns with eagle heads at the top. The school was converted to a middle school in 1971 as part of a reorganization of the Alexandria City Public Schools System. A...
  • Sligo Creek Elementary School - Silver Spring MD
    Sligo Creek Elementary School in Silver Spring MD – the former Montgomery Blair High School – was built in 1935 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). A 1939 report by the PWA provide details: "The building contains 13 classrooms, a special English classroom with a stage, administrative offices, a conference room, laboratories for science and biology, a library, rooms for music and domestic science, and a cafeteria for the students. The school was named for the Postmaster General of President Lincoln's Cabinet. The construction is steel frame with reinforced-concrete floor slabs, exterior walls of red brick trimmed with limestone and wood,...
  • Post Office - La Jolla CA
    The La Jolla post office is a fine example of Mission Revival architecture, which was wildly popular in Southern California in the interwar period.  Many New Deal buildings in the region adopted this prevailing style.  The La Jolla post office is built of concrete, covered with stucco and roofed with terra cotta tiles – except on the flat-roof wings.   This post office was jointly funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) and Treasury Department (US Post Office) -- possibly because the PWA invested heavily in Southern California in the wake of the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Short and Brown observe, "This...
  • Post Office - Blackfoot ID
    The historic post office in Blackfoot, Idaho was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1935.  The post office building is exceptionally grand, two or three stories high, in a "Classical Moderne" architectural style.  The facade features eight bas-relief columns with decorative elements at the top and a beautiful bas-relief eagle over the front entrance.  The Blackfoot post officre is still in use and houses an a long New Deal mural all around the interior of the lobby, which is largely unchanged.
  • Municipal Building - Marietta OH
    The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Municipal Building in Marietta OH, in 1935. "Before 1935 the municipal government was housed in an obsolete nonfireproof building with an auditorium seating 900 on the top floor, necessitating unsightly fire escapes. The new municipal building occupies an ample site and the project included, in addition, a connecting wing to a relatively new and modern fire-department building and the landscaping of the entire site. The new building contains quarters for all of the departments of the city government and also an auditorium seating 1,400 and a banquet hall with kitchen facilities. The construction is...