(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
Fields can be left blank!
After selecting, click on Search

Displaying 106-120 of 121 results

Rapid City Historical Museum (former) – Rapid City SD

Date added: January 14, 2012

“In an effort to preserve the rich history of Rapid City and the surrounding area, WPA Project 1112 began in 1937 in an effort to construct a massive, native-stone edifice to house various collections of historical artifacts. Early in 1936,… read more

Canyon Lake Park – Rapid City SD

Date added: January 14, 2012

"Canyon Lake Park was developed around the 1890s by the Upper Rapid City Company, who planted the Lombardy poplar trees that still line the roads of the park. Dr. Valentine McGillycuddy was a partner in the company that planned to… read more

Wilson Park – Rapid City SD

Date added: January 14, 2012

“It was not uncommon for WPA employees to work side by side with Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) members on projects throughout the Black Hills and in Rapid City. Some of these projects included landscaping work that utilized native stone in… read more

O’Harra Memorial Building – Rapid City SD

Date added: January 14, 2012

"The South Dakota School of Mines and Technology took advantage of the New Deal program when it received a $95,000 federal grant that it combined with a $120,000 appropriation from the 1941 South Dakota state legislature to construct the OHarra… read more

Dinosaur Park – Rapid City SD

Date added: January 14, 2012

"R. L. Bronson, secretary of the Rapid City Chamber of Commerce, first propositioned the idea of a Dinosaur Park to federal agencies after visiting the Chicago Century of Progress Exposition and viewed a mechanically operated reproduction of a brontosaurus. The… read more

Hughes County Courthouse – Pierre SD

Date added: January 14, 2012

"The Hughes County Courthouse was designed in the Public Works Administration Moderne style with Art Deco features by the architects Hugill and Blatherwick and constructed by the Henry Carlson Company, all out of Sioux Falls. This governmental interpretation is a… read more

Sheridan Lake – Black Hills National Forest SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

The Lake of the Pines (now known as Sheridan Lake) on Spring Creek was constructed as a joint project by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) from 1938 to 1940.  It was the largest earth dam built… read more

Wind Cave National Park – Hot Springs SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made a host of improvements to Wind Cave National Park, which had been established by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1903. The improvements made in the 1930s included a new… read more

Custer State Park: Stockade Lake – Custer SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

“The [Custer State Park] grew rapidly in the 1920s, acquired additional lands; during the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps made many park improvements. CCC men laid out campgrounds and picnic areas, built a massive park museum, miles of roads, sturdy… read more

Harney Peak Lookout Tower – Mount Rushmore SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

"The Harney Peak Lookout Tower was built by Camp F-23, Doran to replace the old wooden structure. Over 7,500 rocks had to be hauled up the mountain on specially built horse-drawn sleds. Everything necessary was sledded up or carried by… read more

Custer State Park: Center Lake – East Custer SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

“[Custer State Park] grew rapidly in the 1920s, acquired additional lands; during the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps made many park improvements. CCC men laid out campgrounds and picnic areas, built a massive park museum, miles of roads, sturdy bridges… read more

Custer State Park: Horse Thief Lake – Custer SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

“The CCC assigned to Custer State Park had the objective of making nature more enjoyable and accessible to the public. Recreational improvements in the state’s largest park included the construction of dams at Horsethief Lake, Stockade Lake, Center Lake and… read more

Custer State Park: Legion Lake – East Custer SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

“The [Custer State Park] grew rapidly in the 1920s, acquired additional lands; during the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps made many park improvements. CCC men laid out campgrounds and picnic areas, built a massive park museum, miles of roads, sturdy… read more

Custer State Park: Bismarck Lake – West Custer SD

Date added: January 12, 2012

“The CCC assigned to Custer State Park had the objective of making nature more enjoyable and accessible to the public. Recreational improvements in the state’s largest park included the construction of dams at Horsethief Lake, Stockade Lake, Center Lake and… read more