(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 61-75 of 478 results

Water Works Improvements – Meridian MS

Date added: August 25, 2020

Meridian voters approved a $200,000 bond issue for improving the water works in 1939. It was projected to begin July that year and provide employment for 300 men for a year. Improvements were proposed to include “new five-million-gallon reservoir on… read more

Jail (Former) – Fayette MS

Date added: August 25, 2020

The Mississippi state legislature approved Sb231 authorizing Jefferson County to issue $20,000 bonds for the construction of a new jail. President Roosevelt signed approval for Works Progress Administration project No. 50,036 September 26, 1940 for $23,775 to construction the jail…. read more

Elementary School – Brookhaven MS

Date added: August 23, 2020

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted $128,138 toward construction of a new elementary school. R. W. Naef was the architect for the two-story brick 1941 International style building. W. T. Beckelheimer was the superintendent of construction. An auditorium was added… read more

H. M. Nailor School Complex (former) – Cleveland MS

Date added: August 23, 2020

The Nailor High School was initially known as the Cleveland Consolidated School for African American students. It was designed by architect E. L. Malvaney and approved as WPA No. 50,022 in the fall of 1940. The monolithic concrete building contained… read more

High School – Brooksville MS

Date added: August 23, 2020

The approval for construction of a concrete school building in Brooksville was announced May 1940. The 1941 design was a one-story Art Moderne with glass blocks and curved entrance. The school was only 2/3 completed in 1942 when Works Progress… read more

Gymnasium – Tutwiler MS

Date added: August 22, 2020

Works Project Administration project No. 50,348 was approved to construct a gymnasium for the Tutwiler school. The first news item reported $20,690, scheduled to begin May 12, 1940 and employ an average of 60 workers for six months. The announcement… read more

High School – Baldwyn MS

Date added: August 22, 2020

A WPA allotment of $81,320 was approved for construction of a new high school in Baldwyn, including the installation of a septic tank and sewer lines. The project took 12 months and employed an average of 61 workers. It was… read more

Schools (Former) – Byram MS

Date added: August 16, 2020

The Works Progress Administration made an allotment for a “new, modernistic school building” for Byram Elementary School, completed in October 1938. The Public Works Administration (PWA) W1183 funded construction for new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools 1938-1939,… read more

School – Utica MS

Date added: August 15, 2020

Utica High School was completed 1939 as part of Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1183 to construct new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools. A bond election for Utica was held October 29 and $27,000 were approved for… read more

Watkins Elementary School Improvements – Jackson MS

Date added: August 15, 2020

The historic Liberty Grove school was constructed 1934 by architect James Manly Spain in a one-story Colonial Revival style. CWA funds provided $22,000 toward the $32,000 school building. The award for the construction contract was to be submitted by the… read more

Forest Hill School Complex – Jackson MS

Date added: August 14, 2020

The Public Works Administration W1183 funded constructing for new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools in 1938-1939. Forest Hill School used funds to construct a vocational building, auditorium, gymnasium, and home for the vocational teacher. They used a… read more

Armory (former) – Columbus MS

Date added: July 16, 2020

The city of Columbus approved a bond issue to construct the city’s portion of a Works Progress Administration (WPA) financed armory. The architect was R. T. Smith. Columbus purchased a site for the new armory and civic center in the… read more

Armory (former) – Greenville MS

Date added: July 16, 2020

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted $30,379 to construct a new National Guard Armory in 1938. N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town were architects for the two-story, reinforced concrete Art Deco style building. The lower floor was devoted to… read more