(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 496-510 of 537 results

Post Office Mural – Weatherford OK

Date added: February 2, 2013

The post office contains a 1939 Section of Fine Arts mural by Oscar Berninghaus entitled “Terminus of the Railroad, 1898-1901.” The railroad ended at Weatherford from 1898-1901 and this work depicts the station, a train engine, and surrounding covered wagons… read more

Post Office – Weatherford OK

Date added: February 2, 2013

The historic post office in Weatherford, Oklahoma was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses New Deal artwork inside, was completed in 1938 and is still in use today.

Indian Bowl – Muskogee OK

Date added: July 26, 2012

“The stadium in Muskogee is called the Indian Bowl, and is made of white concrete. No WPA marker is visible, but the stadium is on the list of WPA properties. It was constructed with WPA funds and was eligible to… read more

Pecan Bowl – Okemah OK

Date added: July 26, 2012

The Pecan Bowl was constructed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. “Stadiums, like schools, came in many styles and colors, perhaps according to available rock or style of the nearby school. The Pecan Bowl in Okemah is especially attractive…. read more

Capitol Hill Stadium (Webster High School) – Tulsa OK

Date added: July 26, 2012

“Stadiums and field houses became important additions for many school systems. In Oklahoma, competitive sports added quality of life for residents during the Great Depression. Small school districts were especially proud to receive an ‘indoor’ gym. High school stadiums such… read more

Ackley Park Baseball Stadium – Elk City OK

Date added: July 26, 2012

The WPA created the Ackley Park baseball field and stadium in 1939, along with a boy scout hut in the park “The occasional use of dark stones created a unique pattern at the baseball field in Ackley Park in Elk… read more

Harmon Field – Okmulgee OK

Date added: July 26, 2012

“This project consisted of several buildings, walls and structures to provide an athletic field for the local high school. The area consists of 65 acres, five buildings and seven miscellaneous structures. Visitors enter the field from the south, through a… read more

Taft Stadium – Oklahoma City OK

Date added: July 26, 2012

“Taft Stadium in Oklahoma City was one of the largest high school football stadiums built as a WPA project in Oklahoma. In fact, it took several approved projects to complete the facility.”  (Barton) A waymarking submitter describes the stadium as… read more

Paoli Gymnasium – Paoli OK

Date added: July 21, 2012

“The [1936] WPA-built red brick gymnasium built in Paoli appears neat and new.” “Above the windows is a continuous row of standing brick. The entrance is slightly recessed, flanked by three-tiered brick columns which are topped with stone. Across this… read more

Russell Dougherty School – Edmond OK

Date added: July 21, 2012

“This beautiful old native sandstone building, located in downtown Edmond, was erected by the WPA in 1941-1942. It served as a Junior High School until 1957, and then as an elementary school. It is still in use today. The school… read more

Westville School – Westville OK

Date added: July 21, 2012

Constructed by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor in 1936, the “Westville School is made of gray limestone with an attractive red brick, sheltered, entrance way. The building serves as the high school and is a large, rectangular building. Visible… read more

Goodland Academy – Hugo OK

Date added: July 21, 2012

“Because the private Goodland Academy was consolidated with an adjacent public school district in the 1930s, the Presbyterian-sponsored orphanage that was founded in the nineteenth century was given WPA funds to add buildings to its campus. A grade school building,… read more

Clayton High School WPA Auditorium

Clayton High School Auditorium – Clayton OK

Date added: July 21, 2012

“The auditorium was constructed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) public works project in 1936-1937, during the Great Depression. It provided much-needed jobs in the Clayton area, which had been economically ravaged. According to an architectural survey completed in 1988,… read more