Select search criteria in one or more boxes (fields can be left blank), then click on SEARCH button at bottom of the page. To reduce scrolling through long lists, begin typing a name (e.g., ’Smith’ under artist, “Juneau” under state and city).

Hide Search Options

Displaying 31-45 of 204 results

    Converse Hall

    Converse Hall (JMU) – Harrisonburg VA

    Date added: March 29, 2023; Modified: March 29, 2023

    James Madison University’s Converse Hall, originally known as Senior Hall, was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $106,000 grant and $41,975 loan for the project, whose total cost was $147,476. Construction… read more

    Carrier Library

    Carrier Library (JMU) – Harrisonburg VA

    Date added: March 29, 2023; Modified: March 29, 2023

    James Madison University’s Carrier Library was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $63,000 grant for the project, whose total cost was $140,010. Construction occurred between Oct. 1938 and Sept. 1939. JMU.edu:… read more

    Aerial photograph of JMU campus, 1937. Cleveland Hall and Converse Hall are visible at left and right side of image, respectively.

    James Madison University Development – Harrisonburg VA

    Date added: March 29, 2023

    James Madison University (JMU) in Harrisonburg, Virginia received several new buildings during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds: Cleveland Hall, Converse Hall, and what is now known as Carrier Library.

    Lucy F. Simms Continuing Education Center

    Lucy F. Simms Continuing Education Center – Harrisonburg VA

    Date added: March 29, 2023; Modified: March 29, 2023

    Originally the Lucy F. Simms School, the Lucy F. Simms Continuing Education Center in Harrisonburg, Virginia was constructed with the aid of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) grant. Construction occurred between July 1938 and June 1939; the grant supplied… read more

    Barton Heights Cemeteries Fence – Richmond VA

    Date added: July 31, 2016; Modified: September 24, 2022

    The Barton Heights Cemeteries in Richmond, Virginia are “encircled by a fence erected by the Works Progress Administration in 1935.”

    Members of CCC Company 2305 - Yorktown VA

    CCC Camp Navy-1 (Former) – Yorktown VA

    Date added: July 23, 2022; Modified: July 23, 2022

    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Navy-1 was created at Yorktown, Virginia, on November 1, 1935, for the purposes of improving the Naval Mine Depot (a 20-square mile area that is now called “Naval Weapons Station Yorktown”). The camp housed Company… read more

    Old Town Hall, Front Royal, VA

    Municipal Building (former) – Front Royal VA

    Date added: July 13, 2022

    The historic former Municipal Building (“Town Hall”) in Front Royal, Virginia was built with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $10,707 grant for the project, whose total cost was $38,235. Construction occurred between… read more

    Warren County Courthouse

    Warren County Courthouse – Front Royal VA

    Date added: March 29, 2015; Modified: July 13, 2022

    The historic Warren County Courthouse in Front Royal, Virginia was built with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $17,587 grant for the project, whose total cost was $62,931. Construction occurred between July 1935… read more

    Skyline Middle School, Front Royal, VA

    Skyline Middle School – Front Royal VA

    Date added: July 13, 2022

    Also known as Warren County High School, Front Royal’s Skyline Middle School was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project ca. 1940. The building has since been extended. LivingPlaces: “This impressively sited, Classical Revival-style, brick school building stands… read more

    Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

    Virginia Museum of Fine Arts – Richmond VA

    Date added: February 12, 2012; Modified: July 13, 2022

    The historic Virginia Museum of Fine Arts building was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the mid-1930s: PWA Docket No. 3551. Short and Stanley-Brown: “Before the erection of this art museum, the city of Richmond had… read more

    Old Saunders Station post office, Richmond, V

    Saunders Station Post Office (former) – Richmond VA

    Date added: February 13, 2015; Modified: July 13, 2022

    The historic Saunders Station post office at 1635 W Broad Street in Richmond, Virginia was constructed in 1937-8 with Treasury Department funds. The building was sold in 2015 to private interests, while the post office relocated a few properties away.

    Parcel Post Building, Richmond, VA

    Parcel Post Building (former) – Richmond VA

    Date added: April 18, 2017; Modified: July 13, 2022

    The historic former Parcel Post Building at 1100 E Main St. in Richmond, Virginia was originally designed by Marcellus Eugene Wright, Sr. in association with the Richmond architectural firm Lee & Smith & Van der Voort. According to some sources… read more

    Virginia Tech: Commerce Hall (demolished) Remodeling – Blacksburg VA

    Date added: July 13, 2022; Modified: July 13, 2022

    Virginia Tech’s former Commerce Hall was remodeled as part of a larger Public Works Administration (PWA) project on the campus. The New York Times identifies this “business administration” building as a PWA project dedicated in August 1940. VT.edu, re: Commencement… read more

    Smyth Hall

    Virginia Tech: Smyth Hall – Blacksburg VA

    Date added: July 13, 2022; Modified: July 13, 2022

    Virginia Tech’s Smyth Hall, originally known as the Natural Science Building, “was built in 1939 at a cost of $127,650,” and was constructed as part of a larger Public Works Administration (PWA) project on the campus. It was part of… read more

    Hutcheson Hall

    Virginia Tech: Hutcheson Hall – Blacksburg VA

    Date added: July 13, 2022; Modified: July 13, 2022

    Virginia Tech’s Hutcheson Hall, originally known as New Agricultural Hall, “was built in 1940 at a cost of $206,000,” and was constructed as part of a larger Public Works Administration (PWA) project on the campus. It was part of a… read more