Displaying 31-45 of 151 results
Date added: October 5, 2014
According to a wayside marker at the current Chestertown Firehouse (see photo and source note 1 below), the Chestertown Town Hall, at 118 N. Cross Street, was Chestertown’s firehouse for forty years (1938-1978). The old Chestertown Firehouse was one of… read more
Date added: June 29, 2014
According to National Park Service photograph records at Antietam National Battlefield, PWA project number FP 420 (probably occurring between 1934 and 1936) was the repair of the War Correspondents Memorial Arch–a national historic monument–at what is now Gathland State Park…. read more
Date added: June 17, 2014
From the National Park Service: “One of the 14 national cemeteries that date from the Civil War, the Annapolis National Cemetery is the final resting place for many Union soldiers who died in the nearby ‘parole camps’ and hospitals of… read more
Date added: May 13, 2014
The U.S. Post Office building in Pocomoke City, Maryland, is a U.S. Treasury project from 1937. It is one of the many hundreds of post offices built during the New Deal era that still serve Americans today.
Date added: May 6, 2014
This building was built by the WPA circa 1938-1939, and was the high school for Princess Anne, Maryland, for many years. Today, the building still serves the public as the Somerset County Office Building.
Date added: April 20, 2014
The Aberdeen, Maryland post office was constructed with federal funds. The building, which opened for business in 1937, is still in use today.
Date added: April 15, 2014
Pangborn Park was one of 8,000 parks built, repaired, or improved by the WPA. Today, visitors to Pangborn Park can enjoy tennis courts, a horseshoe court, an athletic field, a picnic shelter, a children’s playground, and an artificial pond.
Date added: March 31, 2014
The Williamsport Memorial Library was built with the assistance of the WPA in 1936-1937. The library is a memorial to 14 Williamsport High School students who lost their lives in 1935, when the bus they were riding in was hit… read more
Date added: February 14, 2014
Jacob Getlar Smith painted three oil-on-canvas murals for the Main Street Maude R. Toulson Federal Building and Post Office in 1939: “Salisbury,” “Stage at Byrd’s Inn” and “Cotton Patch.” From an onsite plaque: “Jacob Getlar Smith was born February 3,… read more
Date added: December 9, 2013
The Williamsport Community Building at Byron Memorial Park, in Williamsport, Maryland, was constructed by WPA workers in 1938. The building is still used today, highlighting once again the enduring value of WPA projects.
Date added: November 14, 2013
The nearly 2,700 acres encompassing what is now Cedarville State Forest was originally purchased as a forest demonstration area by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in 1930. Located in Charles and Prince George’s County, CCC project S-54 was initiated… read more
Date added: November 11, 2013
CCC-built structures at New Germany State Park, that are still in use today, include a recreation building, cabins, and picnic shelters. According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, “Today the Recreation Hall (Rec Hall) is the site for many… read more
Date added: November 3, 2013
The CCC built an administrative building, a pavilion, and a restroom at Swallow Falls State Park. All are still in use. The CCC boys also planted trees, performed fire suppression work, and engaged in other projects throughout the area. Visitors… read more
Date added: October 27, 2013
The Civilian Conservation Corps created Herrington Manor Lake by damming Herrington Creek. They also built ten cabins, the lake concession building (which has been altered since), and a pavilion. The CCC boys also planted trees throughout the area. According to… read more
Date added: October 5, 2013
Baltimore’s third custom house was designed by the firm Hornblower and Marshall and completed 1907. The building was improved several times during the New Deal era, with notable projects including the addition of new passenger and freight elevators. The GSA… read more