(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 16-30 of 123 results

Community Center – Wall SD

Date added: July 20, 2016

This stone building was erected in 1936 with WPA funds as the local community center. It currently serves as the local library and sits next to the police station on Main Street.

Governor’s Mansion (former) – Rapid City SD

Date added: July 28, 2015

WPA crews built the South Dakota Governor’s Mansion in 1936 in the capitol city of Pierre. In 2004, it was purchased and moved 175 miles to Rapid City, but in 2013 was sold at a foreclosure auction. It remains privately… read more

Fort Sisseton Restoration – Lake City SD

Date added: July 28, 2015

WPA crews conducted restoration work at the site between 1935 and 1938. From the Library of Congress: “In 1937, the fort was restored as a WPA project. It has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, but today… read more

Post Office – Mobridge SD

Date added: February 9, 2015

The historic post office in Mobridge, South Dakota was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork inside, is still in use today.

"Wheat in the Shock"

Post Office Mural – Flandreau SD

Date added: December 29, 2014

This 1940 oil-on-canvas mural, “Wheat in the Shock,” by Matthew Ziegler, was created for the then-new Flandreau post office. The artwork was a winner of the Treasury Section’s 48-State Post Office Mural Competition.

Telephone Lines – Martin SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) “assisted in running telephone lines in rural counties” in South Dakota, including Bennett County, during the Great Depression.

Telephone Lines – Bison SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) “assisted in running telephone lines in rural counties” in South Dakota, including Perkins County, during the Great Depression.

Telephone Lines – Philip SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) “assisted in running telephone lines in rural counties” in South Dakota, including Haakon County, during the Great Depression.

Watertown Regional Airport Hangar – Watertown SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

A stone airport hangar at Watertown Regional Airport in South Dakota was constructed by the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) during the Great Depression. The exact location and status of tis structure is presently unknown to Living New Deal.

Dell Rapids City Park Amphitheater – Dell Rapids SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

“The historic amphitheater was constructed in the Dell Rapids City Park in 1936 as a project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA).” Presently listed to the National Register of Historic Places, the “structure continues to be a popular focal point… read more

Municipal Building – Centerville SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

The Federal Emergency Relief Administration was associated with the construction of Centerville, South Dakota’s municipal building. The building, whose exact location and status is presently unknown to Living New Deal, “housed the city hall, fire station, and jail in a… read more

Black Hills Airport (demolished) – Spearfish SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

The Federal Emergency Relief Administration was associated with the construction of a large stone hangar, since demolished, at Black Hills Airport, also known as Clyde Ice Field.

Roberts County Jail (former) – Sisseton SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

Located behind the Roberts County Courthouse, Sisseton South Dakota’s former Roberts County Jail was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $11,200 grant; the total cost of the… read more

Williams Middle School – Sturgis SD

Date added: December 8, 2014

Williams Middle School in Sturgis, South Dakota was constructed as Sturgis High School during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $46,000 grant; the total cost of the project was… read more