Select search criteria in one or more boxes (fields can be left blank), then click on SEARCH button at bottom of the page. To reduce scrolling through long lists, begin typing a name (e.g., ’Smith’ under artist, “Juneau” under state and city).

Hide Search Options

Displaying 28 of 28 results

    Lincoln High School – Dallas TX

    Date added: March 23, 2015

    Lincoln High School in Dallas, Texas was constructed in large part with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Text from the state historical marker reads: In 1937, the Dallas school board appointed a building committee to find land for a… read more

    "Texas of History"

    Fair Park: Hall of State Mural – Dallas TX

    Date added: December 30, 2014; Modified: January 18, 2015

    The oil-on-canvas mural “Texas of History,” a ten-panel behemoth, each 30′ x 80′, was painted by Eugene Francis Savage as a New Deal project.

    Lee Park and Arlington Hall – Dallas TX

    Date added: October 29, 2014

    Arlington Hall is a two-thirds-size replica of Arlington House, General Robert E. Lee’s Virginia home. The City of Dallas and the Works Progress Administration completed the building in 1939. For years, it served as a popular spot for community events… read more

    Reverchon Park – Dallas TX

    Date added: October 12, 2013; Modified: August 10, 2014

    The WPA did extensive work in this Dallas park as part of “an extensive parks beautification program intended to make the city a showplace. For Reverchon, this meant the introduction of a series of stoneworks, including the floral amphitheater known… read more

    Tietze Park Pavilion – Dallas TX

    Date added: August 4, 2014

    Tietze Park is a 9-acre park in the City of Dallas acquired in 1924. At that time it was named Keith Park. Ten years later it was renamed Tietze Park, after W.R. Tietze, who was Superintendent of Parks for the… read more

    Bachman Lake Shelter House – Dallas TX

    Date added: July 14, 2014; Modified: July 14, 2014

    Text on a plaque in the building reads: The Bachman Lake Shelter House was designed by the National Park Service and constructed by the young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1939. Just as today, the shelter served the… read more

    Flag Pole Hill – Dallas TX

    Date added: July 12, 2014

    Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2896 resided at White Rock Lake in Dallas from 1935 to 1942. The CCC Company also built neighboring Flag Pole Hill between 1936 and 1937. Improvements constructed by the CCC included a picturesque overlook surmounted by… read more

    Kiest Park – Dallas TX

    Date added: June 29, 2014

    In 1931, Edwin Kiest, an influential Dallas businessman, made a gift of 247 acres of land to the City of Dallas for a regional park as a memorial to his wife, Elizabeth Patterson Kiest, who had died in 1917. The… read more

    Lake Cliff Park Improvements – Dallas TX

    Date added: June 29, 2014; Modified: June 29, 2014

    The site, originally developed in 1906 as an amusement park, was acquired by the City of Dallas in 1914. The park encompasses 44 acres and a large lake. Works Progress Administration (WPA) sponsored improvements included construction of a stone picnic shelter in 1938, roque court, retaining wall, paving, picnic units, a bridge,… read more

    Stevens Park Pavilion – Dallas TX

    Date added: April 30, 2013; Modified: June 11, 2014

    This stone pavilion was constructed by the WPA in 1934-1936. After many years it was in danger of collapsing into a nearby creek, until the city recently moved the entire pavilion 25 feet to a more secure location.

    White Rock Lake Park – Dallas TX

    Date added: May 26, 2014; Modified: May 26, 2014

    Construction on White Rock Lake began in 1910 in response to a water shortage in Dallas. The City of Dallas dammed White Rock Creek in 1911 and built a water processing plant. White Rock Lake was the city’s main source… read more

    Dealey Plaza Park – Dallas TX

    Date added: July 21, 2012; Modified: August 6, 2013

    “In 1940, WPA workers completed this park in the heart of Dallas. Named for an early publisher of the Dallas Morning News, the plaza lives in infamy as the location of President John F. Kennedy’s assassination on November 22, 1963…. read more

    Dallas Museum of Nature and Science

    Museum of Nature and Science – Dallas TX

    Date added: January 19, 2012

    "At the time of the Texas Centennial Exposition at Dallas in 1936 certain of the buildings constructed were made permanent, and one of these was the Museum of Natural History. The structure is two stories in height and 71 by… read more