Select search criteria in one or more boxes (fields can be left blank), then click on SEARCH button at bottom of the page. To reduce scrolling through long lists, begin typing a name (e.g., ’Smith’ under artist, “Juneau” under state and city).

Hide Search Options

Displaying 166-180 of 204 results

    Fort Belvoir (Fort Humphreys) – Alexandria VA

    Date added: May 31, 2013; Modified: March 19, 2015

    Originally called Fort Humphreys, this Army post was established during World War I. The name was changed to Fort Belvoir in 1935. “Title I of the Work Relief and Public Works Appropriation Act gave $13,942,572 in WPA funds and $52,283,400… read more

    "Agricultural Scenes in Virginia"

    Post Office: Calfee Mural – Petersburg VA

    Date added: February 14, 2014; Modified: March 7, 2015

    “Agricultural Scenes in Virginia” is one of two murals created for the Petersburg post office under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The oil-on-canvas work depicts two primary agricultural crops of Virginia: tobacco and peanuts. It was… read more

    "Riding to Hounds"

    Post Office: Lewis Mural – Petersburg VA

    Date added: February 14, 2014; Modified: March 7, 2015

    “Riding to Hounds” is one of two murals created for the Petersburg post office under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The work, which depicts Virginia fox hunting, was painted in 1937 by Edwin S. Lewis.

    Water Treatment Facilities – Lorton VA

    Date added: July 6, 2013; Modified: March 4, 2015

    According to an index of WPA projects in the National Archives, the WPA constructed a sewage disposal plant, sedimentation tanks, a sludge digestion tank, and dripping beds in Lorton in 1936. In 1938, the Washington Post reported that funds were… read more

    Fort Myer Improvements – Arlington VA

    Date added: May 31, 2013; Modified: February 26, 2015

    Fort Myer is a US Army post adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery. Along with many other military installations throughout the country, it received significant funding and improvements from New Deal agencies. One result was a new NCO housing area: “The… read more

    "Mining"

    Post Office Murals – Tazewell VA

    Date added: July 24, 2013; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The Tazewell post office contains two murals by William H. Calfee completed in 1940 with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds.

    "Receiving Mail on the Farm"

    Post Office Mural – Stuart VA

    Date added: October 17, 2013; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The historic post office in Stuart, Virginia contains a 1942 Section of Fine Arts mural by John E. Costigan entitled “Receiving Mail on the Farm.”

    Post Office Mural – Strasburg VA

    Date added: October 27, 2012; Modified: February 13, 2015

    Strasburg, Virginia’s historic post office houses a New Deal mural titled “Apple Orchard.” Painted by Sarah Blakeslee in 1938, the work was commissioned by the U.S. Treasury Section of Fine Arts.

    "Captain John Smith Trading With the Indians"

    Post Office Mural – Smithfield VA

    Date added: September 10, 2014; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The oil-on-canvas mural “Captain John Smith Trading With the Indians” was painted by William Abbot Cheever in 1941. The mural, which hangs in the lobby of the Smithfield, Virginia post office, was restored in 2009.

    Post Office Mural – Rocky Mount VA

    Date added: August 4, 2013; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The historic post office in Rocky Mount, Virginia houses an example of New Deal artwork: the mural “Life in Rocky Mount,” painted by Roy Hilton. The work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.

    "Upland Pastures"

    Post Office Mural – Orange VA

    Date added: December 29, 2014; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The oil-on-canvas mural “Upland Pastures” was painted for the historic Orange, Virginia post office by Arnold Friedman. The work was commissioned by the Treasury Department of Fine Arts.

    City Hall Restoration – Petersburg VA

    Date added: September 3, 2013; Modified: February 13, 2015

    Originally the U.S. Customs House and Post Office, this imposing building was constructed in the mid 19th century by the U.S. Treasury Department. “In 1938, the building was renovated as part of a Works Progress Administration project to become Petersburg’s… read more

    "Early Industries"

    Federal Building Sculptures – Newport News VA

    Date added: August 11, 2013; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The Newport News Federal Building contains three unglazed terra cotta sculptures by Mary B. Fowler, completed with Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds in 1943. The sculptures depict local history: “Captain Newport Brings News and Aid to the Starving Colonists,” “Present… read more

    "The Letter"

    Post Office Bas Relief – Marion VA

    Date added: December 30, 2014; Modified: February 13, 2015

    The plaster bas relief entitled “The Letter” was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The work was created for the New Deal post office in Marion, Virginia, which is now privately owned. The relief has since been relocated… read more