Select search criteria in one or more boxes (fields can be left blank), then click on SEARCH button at bottom of the page. To reduce scrolling through long lists, begin typing a name (e.g., ’Smith’ under artist, “Juneau” under state and city).

Hide Search Options

Displaying 166-180 of 202 results

    Post Office Mural – Lenoir City TN

    Date added: January 16, 2012; Modified: January 4, 2015

    This 1940 mural "Electrification" by David Stone Martin was a winner of the Treasury Section's 48-State Post Office Mural competition.

    Courthouse Mural – Knoxville TN

    Date added: December 27, 2014

    Located on the ceiling of the courtroom in the former US Post Office and Courthouse (now used by Tennessee Appellate court), von Wicht’s unblinded “Goddess of Justice” is reclining atop the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee.

    LeMoyne Gardens – Memphis TN

    Date added: December 27, 2014

    Located on 26 acres, containing 60 buildings and 500 apartments, and with a cost of $1,446,043, the facility was constructed for occupancy by African Americans. In 1942, $1,500,000 was expended to add 100 2-story units encompassing an additional 15 acres… read more

    "Wild Boar Hunt"

    Post Office mural – Sweetwater TN

    Date added: July 30, 2013; Modified: December 27, 2014

    This mural by Thelma Martin, “Wild Boar Hunt” was completed with New Deal funds in 1942.

    Post Office bas relief – Decherd TN

    Date added: August 1, 2013; Modified: December 27, 2014

    This mahogany relief, “News on the Job”, on display at the Decherd Post Office was completed with New Deal funds in 1940.

    Lake County Courthouse Renovations – Tiptonville TN

    Date added: December 24, 2014

    The original 1905 courthouse, a wood frame Victorian, was renovated in 1936. J. H. McGuire and Company added a brick veneer, removed the Victorian tower, and replaced it with a 2-story Classical Revival style portico. In addition, rooms were added… read more

    Merry Lane Courts – Jackson TN

    Date added: December 20, 2014; Modified: December 23, 2014

    The 96-unit public housing was constructed for African-Americans during the Great Depression. It was demolished following damage from a tornado in 2003.

    Riverview Apartments – Kingsport TN

    Date added: December 23, 2014; Modified: December 23, 2014

    The brick “restrained Colonial Revival style” (Van West, 2001, p. 148) two-story apartment complex contained 48 units for African-Americans. Constructed at the same time as the Robert E. Lee Homes for whites, both complexes were funded for a total of… read more

    Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park – Millington TN

    Date added: December 22, 2014; Modified: December 22, 2014

    The CCC company 1442 provided labor for the initial development of what was initially known as Shelby State Park, planting trees, damming the lake, and building trails. National Park Service funded the project and labor was provided by CCC, and… read more

    Tri-Cities Regional Airport – Blountville TN

    Date added: December 22, 2014; Modified: December 22, 2014

    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped to construct what was then known as McKellar Field during the Great Depression. Two runways of hard surface material, one 4,000 feet and one 3,000 feet, a two-story administration building with control tower,… read more

    Loudon County Courthouse Repairs – Loudon TN

    Date added: December 17, 2014; Modified: December 18, 2014

    The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) provided $13,909 grant towards a repair project for Loudon, Tennessee’s county courthouse during the Great Depression. The total cost of the project, undertaken in 1936, was $30,909.

    West End High School – Nashville TN

    Date added: December 18, 2014; Modified: December 18, 2014

    West End Middle School in Nashville, Tennessee was originally erected as a High School with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). West End was constructed in Colonial Revival style, with 35 classrooms, 8 of which… read more

    Lockeland Elementary School – Nashville TN

    Date added: December 17, 2014; Modified: December 18, 2014

    C. K. Colley and Sons designed the “graceful yet understated Tudor Revival” (Van West, 2001, p. 102) school on the site of the former Lockeland mansion with the assistance of the Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. The… read more

    Sumner County Courthouse – Gallatin TN

    Date added: December 18, 2014; Modified: December 18, 2014

    Sumner County Courthouse in Gallatin, Tennessee was erected with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. The two-story PWA Moderne courthouse replaced an older Greek Revival style building and was the last… read more