(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 16501-16515 of 17450 results

Campbell Stadium WPA Plaque (North)

Campbell Stadium – Campbell CA

Date added: May 20, 2011

The stadium was originally constructed by the WPA as part of the Campbell Union High School. The high school ceased operations in the 1970s, but the campus remains largely intact. The stadium and other facilities are now part of the… read more

Recreation center, Montclair Park - Oakland CA

Montclair Park: Recreation Center – Oakland CA

Date added: April 17, 2011

The seven-acre Montclair Park in Oakland was built with the aid of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938-40.  This gem of a park lies just north of Montclair Village in the Oakland hills and below Montclair Elementary School.  … read more

William Penn Park – Whittier CA

Date added: April 17, 2011

The beautiful and well-used William Penn Park in Whittier, California was built by the WPA. Some WPA stamps from 1940 remain in the sidewalks.    

Acalanes High School – Lafayette CA

Date added: April 17, 2011

A WPA stamp laid in front of the school identifies the school as being built in 1941. The stamp, originally in the sidewalk, has since been cut out of the ground and is now on display inside one of the… read more

San Francisco Airport

San Francisco Airport – San Francisco CA

Date added: March 5, 2011

The airport first opened in 1927 as Mills Field Municipal Airport. It became San Francisco Municipal Airport in 1931, and SF International Airport in 1955. Both the WPA and the PWA were heavily involved in airport construction and expansion: “[The… read more

Old Kern County Office Building Complex

County Office Building (former) – Arvin CA

Date added: February 27, 2011

Originally built by the WPA in 1942 as a group of Arvin county office buildings, the adobe complex is now a business incubator and retail complex. A local newspaper of the time had this to say: “Another large project reaching… read more

Kern County Office Building/Shafter City Hall

Shafter City Hall – Shafter CA

Date added: February 27, 2011

Originally built as a generic county office building, this structure has since become the Shafter City Hall. A plaque on the building reads: "Constructed by Federal Works Agency, Works Projects Administration and County of Kern – 1940" Plans for the… read more

Rossi Playground

Rossi Playground – San Francisco CA

Date added: February 13, 2011

WPA workers removed bodies from old Odd Fellows Cemetery to create this park. "Constructed playground, 3 tennis courts and 2 basketball fields, 1 volleyball court, landscaped and built drainage and water system, fenced entire playground and courts, built convenience station… read more

Taylor Middle School

Taylor Middle School – Millbrae CA

Date added: February 13, 2011

Taylor Middle School was built by the PWA in 1939 as the Millbrae Elementary School. There is a PWA plaque in the west wall of the front vestibule of the school entry.

Sharp Park Clubhouse – Pacifica CA

Date added: February 13, 2011

This Spanish hacienda-style clubhouse (now housing the Sharp Park Restaurant) was built by the WPA in 1935-1936. A WPA plaque can still be found on the building.

Father Junipero Serra Statue

Father Junipero Serra Sculpture – Ventura CA

Date added: February 13, 2011

This statue of the Franciscan missionary, Father Junipero Serra was commissioned by the WPA in 1935. John Palo Kangas made the statue out of concrete. The original concrete deteriorated over time. In 1989, the original was placed in storage and… read more