(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 16486-16500 of 17450 results

Detail of "Artichoke Pickers," public library - Monterey CA

Public Library Wood Carvings – Monterey CA

Date added: June 28, 2011

These two beautiful bas-relief wood carvings by Remo Scardigli hang in the Monterey Public Library.  The were originally in the old library, then moved to the new one when the old building was replaced. The 2.5′ x 8′ oak wood… read more

Hassler Health Home – Redwood City CA

Date added: June 27, 2011

This was originally a tuberculosis sanitarium. New Deal workers constructed a: New kitchen and dining building, ward buildings (2), children’s building, doctors’ and nurses’ residences, improved sewage system, new water tank and incinerator. The sanitarium was purchased by the MROSD… read more

Albany High School

Albany High School – Albany CA

Date added: June 24, 2011

Albany did not have a public high school until 1936; students traveled to Berkeley, Richmond or Oakland. The WPA and PWA contributed to the building of Albany High between, roughly, 1936-1941. According to the Albany Times from that period, five… read more

Santa Monica City Hall – Santa Monica CA

Date added: June 22, 2011

“Santa Monica City Hall is a PWA project, and its architectural style has been dubbed WPA Moderne. This style of architecture was most widely used in building projects financed by the federal government and constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration… read more

Larkin Valley Rd.

Larkin Valley Road – Aptos CA

Date added: June 19, 2011

According to National Archives microfilm purchased and researched by Santa Cruz County library staff, the WPA surfaced Larkin Valley Rd with crushed rock and fuel oil in 1935.

View of Camp McQuaide/Monterey Bay Academy

Camp McQuaide (former) – La Selva Beach CA

Date added: June 19, 2011

The WPA was involved in constructing facilities and improving the grounds at Camp McQuaide after it moved south from its former Capitola location. “In 1926, the 63rd coastal artillery regiment moved from Santa Cruz, California, to an area just east… read more

Central electric substation - Alameda CA

Central Electrical Substation (former) – Alameda CA

Date added: June 10, 2011

The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the central electric substation for the City of Alameda, which has its own municipal electric power system.  It cost over $200,000, a considerable sum at the time.  It also served as the central fire… read more

Sierra Madre Cement Bridge with Stamp

Sierra Madre Channel and Bridges – Sierra Madre CA

Date added: June 10, 2011

After New Deal workers constructed the nearby Sierra Madre Dam, CCC workers also built a series of concrete bridges and the flow channel that leads from the dam through the town of Sierra Madre. The work was completed around 1940…. read more

Garage and Office Building

Garage and Office Building – San Francisco CA

Date added: June 9, 2011

A reinforced concrete one story building at 19th Ave. between Taraval and Santiago Streets, designed to conform to the general character of neighborhood, to be used for storage of equipment and service tools of Street Cleaning Division.–Healy, p. 49.

Pinnacles National Monument Entrance Marker

Pinnacles National Park – Paicines CA

Date added: May 30, 2011

“The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp in 1933 and had a presence until 1942. During that time they paved roads, did trail restoration, and created a dam. The men who worked for the CCC also started guiding visitors… read more

Marina Sea Wall

San Francisco Yacht Harbor – San Francisco CA

Date added: May 27, 2011

Built 600 lineal feet of rubble sea wall enclosing a yacht basin, a harbor master’s station; paved certain drives with natural rock asphalt. This improvement like Aquatic Park added to the picturesque shore line a useful recreational asset. The new… read more