Displaying 1-15 of 510 results
Date added: June 6, 2022
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped construct the Cooper River Park in Pennsauken Township NJ in 1940. “A WPA project to give Pennsauken, N.J., its first public park and recreation facilities costing $350,000 has been approved,” a reporter for Parks… read more
Date added: April 26, 2022
Stanley Holmes Village (a.k.a. Stanley Village) is a 420-unit low income housing project on Adriatic Avenue that was built in 1937 and expanded in 1951. Its the oldest public housing complex in New Jersey. Atlantic City was the first municipality… read more
Date added: March 20, 2022
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed improvements in Brookdale Park NJ (Essex County) in 1937. Initial construction of the park began in 1928 following an Olmstead Brothers’ design. “The basic work was in place by 1930,” suggests the Essex County… read more
Date added: December 21, 2021
Situated near Greenwood Lake in upper West Milford, NJ, Camp Hope was initially developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1201 as Camp S-68 to house workers working at the Newark Waterworks. Following the closure of the worker’s barracks,… read more
Date added: November 28, 2021
This public elementary school was built in 1935 with funds in part from the Works Progress Administration. Its facade is in the popular Art Deco style of that time. The architect of record was J. Robert Pierson & Son.
Date added: March 5, 2021
The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works built a bridge over the Shark River between Avon NJ and Belmar NJ. The bridge is still in use.
Date added: December 13, 2020
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration completed upgrades/repairs for the Matawan Aberdeen Public Library on Main Street, Matawan, NJ. “As the year draws to a close, a WPA-funded upgrading project begins. The project includes book repair, creation of local history scrapbooks,… read more
Date added: November 26, 2020
The Atlantic Highlands municipal harbor was constructed 1939-1941. Of its nearly $1,000,000 cost, the WPA paid most of it. The Army Corps of Engineers built a 4,000 foot breakwater to protect the harbor.
Date added: August 9, 2020
The Civilian Conservation Corps built the picnic area on Henry Hudson Drive near the Hudson River in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
Date added: August 8, 2020
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) built the Bloomer’s Beach Bathhouse and Refreshment Stand in the Palisades Interstate Park in Englewood Cliffs NJ. The Palisades Interstate Park Bathhouse served swimmers in the Hudson River until swimming at the beach was terminated during World… read more
Date added: August 8, 2020
The Civil Works Administration built the Alpine Pavilion in Palisades Interstate Park in Alpine NJ. Built in 1934 and used as a bathhouse until 1944, the Pavilion was restored in 2016 and is used for picnics and gatherings.
Date added: August 5, 2020
The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Halyburton Memorial in Sandy Hook NJ. Located in the Gateway National Park.
Date added: August 2, 2020
The Henry Hudson Drive provides access to sections of the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey located on the banks of the Hudson River. The section of the drive from the Englewood Cliffs entrance to the Edgewater entrance were built… read more
Date added: June 8, 2020
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a concrete wall along the west side of Ocean Avenue. A metal plaque reads “Built by Works Progress Administration 1935-1036.”
Date added: February 17, 2020
The Treasury Department funded the construction of the Post Office in Ocean City, NJ.