(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 1-15 of 331 results

Chester, IL: Old Fire Station

Old Fire Station – Chester IL

Date added: July 29, 2022

The Old Fire Station in Chester, Illinois was constructed in 1935 and served as a firehouse until 1961. The decommissioned building is presently used for storage. While some documents are unable to distinguish the particular New Deal agency responsible for… read more

Jackson Park Improvements – Chicago IL

Date added: June 7, 2022

In 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) pursued a variety of improvements at Chicago’s historic Jackson Park.   “The WPA [went] to town in the park,” the Jackson Park Advisory Council opines. WPA work crews built “comfort stations at the… read more

McKee House - Lombard, IL

McKee House – Lombard IL

Date added: June 4, 2022

This former home/headquarters to the first Superintendent of Dupage Forest Preserve, Robert L. McKee, was constructed with the assistance of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The limestone quarried for this building was done by McDowell Grove CCC Camp workers. The… read more

Pounds Hollow Building Foundation, Beach in Background

Pounds Hollow Recreation Area – Junction IL

Date added: May 17, 2022

Pounds Hollow was the first recreational site constructed for Shawnee National Forest. A dam, beach, bathhouse, boat dock, utility buildings, roads, and a caretakers house were constructed by CCC crews from Camp Cadiz.

WPA plaque at the Dieterich JHS/HS gymnasium

School Gymnasium – Dieterich IL

Date added: April 30, 2022

The Work Project Administration constructed a gymnasium at what is now the Dieterich Junior-Senior High School complex, in 1939. The facility was designed by Deal & Deal of Lincoln, Illinois and can be found the west side of Pine Street,… read more

Old Effingham post office cornerstone

Post Office (demolished) – Effingham IL

Date added: April 30, 2022

The federal government financed the construction of a post office at the northwest corner of Fourth Street and Section Avenue in Effingham, Illinois during the Great Depression. Constructed at a cost of $79,800, the building bore a 1934 cornerstone and… read more

Mount Greenwood Elementary School

Mount Greenwood Elementary School – Chicago IL

Date added: December 3, 2021

A Public Works Administration grant helped fund the construction of Mount Greenwood Elementary School at 108th Street and South Homan Avenue in Chicago’s Mount Greenwood neighborhood. The new school was designed by Board of Education architect John Charles Christensen. The… read more

William T. Sherman Elementary School – Chicago IL

Date added: November 23, 2021

A Public Works Administration grant, along with local tax revenues, funded the construction of Sherman Elementary School at West 51st Place and South Morgan Street in Chicago’s Back of the Yards neighborhood. It replaced the former Sherman School, built in… read more

Isabel C. O’Keeffe Elementary School Addition – Chicago IL

Date added: November 15, 2021

A Public Works Administration grant helped fund the construction of an addition to O’Keeffe Elementary School at 70th Street and South Merrill Avenue in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood. The two-story, nearly 10,000-square-foot addition was designed by Board of Education architect… read more

Raymond Breinin painting the Skokie School WPA Mural

Skokie School Breinin Murals – Winnetka IL

Date added: August 15, 2021

The mural was painted in 1934 by Raymond Breinin, an artist hired by the Public Works Art Project. Soon after its completion, the mural became the subject of a political controversy and the school board voted to cover it.  The remnants… read more

Massac County Courthouse – Metropolis IL

Date added: October 16, 2019

The Massac County Courthouse in Metropolis is one of six New Deal county courthouses built by the New Deal.  It would have been funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA), not the WPA, as commonly thought. The design, by architect… read more

Jefferson County Courthouse – Mt. Vernon IL

Date added: October 15, 2019

The Jefferson County courthouse in Mt. Vernon IL was built with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1939.  It is a three-story concrete structure in Moderne or Art Deco style, designed by architect William R. McCoy, who was… read more

Hamilton County Courthouse – McLeansboro IL

Date added: August 2, 2019

The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the funds to build the Hamilton County Courthouse in 1938. The structure was designed in Art Deco/Moderne style by architect William McCoy, who was well-known in central Illinois at the time. Wikipedia makes the common… read more

Post Office Addition – Urbana IL

Date added: January 6, 2019

The historic former main post office building in downtown Urbana, Illinois received a rear addition in 1935, courtesy Treasury Department funds. The building, locates at 202 S Broadway Ave., houses multiple tenants, and still houses a post office: Urbana’s Downtown… read more