Displaying 1-15 of 252 results
Date added: July 20, 2022
The National Youth Administration constructed a school gymnasium in Big Flat, Arkansas in 1938-1941. The structure is a single story stone masonry building “designed in the Plain Traditional style with Craftsman influences.” (NRHP) The interior of the gymnasium has been… read more
Date added: May 17, 2022
Forrest City, Arkansas’s City Hall (sometimes known as the Municipal Building) was constructed in 1938-9 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a grant of $9,676 for the project, whose total cost was $22,151…. read more
Date added: May 17, 2022
The Forrest City Public Library was constructed between 1938-39 and was designed by the Little Rock, Arkansas, firm of Sanders & Ginocchio. The PWA provided a grant of $10,791 for the project, whose total cost was $24,242. It was the… read more
Date added: April 10, 2022
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Atalanta Lake Park in 1937. Located in Rogers AR, the park and lake development secured recreational opportunities for area residents for years to come. The Fort Smith office of the WPA notified the… read more
Date added: August 14, 2021
The cannery was an integral part of the large WPA resettlement community, known as Dyess Colony, located in northeastern Arkansas. It was located in the town’s central hub along with other buildings like the commissary, the administration building, and various… read more
Date added: August 8, 2021
The history of Craighead Forest Park portraits a close collaboration between the local community and federal government during the Great Depression “to stave off the ravages of poverty, misery and human degradation.” (1) It dates to 1937 when the Young… read more
Date added: August 2, 2021
The Dyess colony commissary or trading post or the Big Store was where the colonist got their household needs especially the daily consumables.
Date added: August 1, 2021
The Dyess Colony Hospital served not only as a local medical care facility, but also a cost-effective alternative to the hospitals in the area. The cost of general medical services was about half of the state’s rate, and the price… read more
Date added: July 17, 2021
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Howard County Courthouse in Nashville, Arkansas. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Date added: March 16, 2021
Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed improvements to Stone Creek Way in the vicinity of White River, Baxter County. A marker that reads “WPA 1939” is present on site.
Date added: December 8, 2019
This structure was built in 1939 by members of the 768th company of the Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corp. It was designed to be a garage and vehicular maintenance building for use by the members of the Forest Rangers. It is… read more
Date added: November 28, 2019
Sandtown Road was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939 near Cushman, Arkansas, USA. A WPA marker on Sandtown Road reads “USA 1939 WPA.”
Date added: November 20, 2019
The old Moorefield (Independence County), AR, school building, which now houses the Rehobeth Baptist Church; the original Rehobeth Baptist Church of Moorefield, established in the 1820s, is believed to have been the first church in Independence County.
Date added: August 2, 2019
Constructed in 1939, the Science Building of Arkansas State College (now the Business Building of Arkansas State University), was one of multiple New Deal projects on the college campus. In 1936, Arkansas State College added a Reserve Officers Training Corps…. read more
Date added: August 1, 2019
The “Nursing and Health Professions Building” is among the four remnant buildings, out of nine, that had been built on A-State Campus during the depth of the depression. In September 1933, the ASU Board of Trustee considered plan for four… read more