This WPA land reclamation project (a process by which new land is created from sea or riverbeds) appears to have taken place where 28th street runs into the San Diego coastline near East Harbor Drive. Note the ships and masts… Read More
Belle Baranceanu painted this oil on canvas mural “Education and Culture” in 1935 with funds provided by the federal government. She rushed to complete it for the 1935-1936 California Pacific International Exposition and would later claim that she could not… Read More
These two oil on canvas murals, entitled “Farm Landscape” and “Point Loma,” were painted by Charles Reiffel on a commission from the WPA Federal Art Project in 1937. They were originally installed at Memorial Junior High School. Each mural measures… Read More
Originally built in 1915 as the Foreign Arts Building for the Panama-California Exposition, it was renovated and expanded in 1935, with WPA money for the California-Pacific International Exposition. Rose Hanks created an incised relief doorway depicting Junipero Serra for the… Read More
This 4′ high Indiana limestone sculpture and fountain by Donal Hord is titled “Woman of Tehuantepec” and is located in the courtyard of the House of Hospitality at San Diego’s Balboa Park.
Named for the numerous Pepper Trees that provide shade to the picnic area, the popular Pepper Grove offers picnic grounds with 15 tables and an extensive playground for children.
“San Diego Harbor” was painted by an unknown artist in 1935 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Medium: oil on canvas
“San Diego Mural” was painted by Belle Baranceanu in 1934 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Medium: oil on canvas
“Gateway to the Desert” was painted by Esther Barney in 1934 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Medium: oil on canvas
“Lane Field is a former baseball stadium located in San Diego, California. The ballpark was home to the San Diego Padres of the Pacific Coast League from 1936 through 1957. The ballpark was located in downtown San Diego, at the… Read More
These three murals in the San Diego County Administration Center were produced under the WPA by Jean Goodwin and Arthur Ames (who later married). Each mural stands about 18′ high and is painted in egg tempera on muslin over a… Read More
The “Guardian of Water” is a granite sculpture, with a mosaic and frieze around the base. It was created by Donal Hord in 1939, with support from the WPA. The sculpture is a 23′ high figure of a woman holding… Read More
Originally the San Diego Civic Center (now the County Administration Center), it was built on 19 acres of filled tidelands. Inscribed on the portal is the motto: 'The Noblest Motive is the Public Good'. FDR dedicated the civic center on… Read More
From the archive photo descriptions of this WPA built station: “The fire station was a new construction project, building forms, placing reinforced steel and pouring concrete. The ground floor of the building measures 50×85 feet. The main part of the… Read More
In 1938, artist Belle Baranceanu painted two large murals “Building Padre Dam” and “Portola’s Departure” on the sides of the stage at Roosevelt Junior High (now Roosevelt Middle School) in San Diego for the WPA Curriculum Project. The San Diego… Read More