Shoshone Park Covered Kitchens
According to the US Forest Service:
“This recreation site was built by the Civilian Conservation Corp in the 1930s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Shoshone County Sportsman’s Association purchased the land and donated it to the Forest Service for development of the recreation site. The site is located along the old Yellowstone or Mullan Trail that allowed early day travel across Lookout Pass between Idaho and Montana. The historic structures within the picnic area consist of two picnic pavilions built in 1936, a rectangular single room, single story log cabin, and a single story rectangular framed garage with half hipped roof line…
The two picnic pavilions have a post and beam construction style over a cement slab that was extended outside the original footprint in the 1970s. Log king post trusses can be found on the gabled roof ends. Rafters and purlins are exposed under the roof. Both shelters are presently being restored to their earlier configuration, including replacement of the original rock fireplace and chimneys on the ends of each structure.
The caretaker cabin and garage are located on the south side of the creek that splits the site in two. The exact date of construction for the cabin and garage are unknown, however, they are shown as additions to a 1937 development plan.”