The New York Times wrote the following in 2003 in a retrospective article of New Jersey-based artist Michael Lenson: “[Mr. Lenson] moved to Newark and applied at the W.P.A. office on Halsey Street … Soon, Mr. Lenson was designing and… Read More
This frieze on the ceilings of the library’s reading rooms was funded by the FAP and WPA. The library itself was completed in 1932, but is very similar in design to what soon after became known as the WPA style.
Hilaire Hiler’s 10′ x 100′ mural, a “wax-emulsion variation of the Gambier-Parry spirit fresco process,” was completed in 1939 with the help of FAP funds.
Richard Ayer’s bas relief of paint on plaster with embedded rope and piping at the Aquatic Park in San Francisco was completed in 1939 with the help of FAP funds.
This oil-on-plaster mural was designed to give “striking demonstrations on the relationship of color and light.” Originally, the light fixture revolved.
Sargent Johnson’s 30′ x 14′ frieze of incised green slate at the Aquatic Park in San Francisco was completed in 1939 with FAP funds.
This 14′ x 125′ glazed tile mural was created by Sargent Johnson in 1939 with the help of FAP funds. The east end is incomplete because of artist protests over plans for a private restaurant on the site.
“As the Great Depression deepened and thousands were uprooted and looking for work, numerous fairgrounds were turned into camps for these transients. The Arizona State Fairgrounds provided a temporary place to stay and an opportunity to earn money through labor…. Read More
Jean Charlot created this mural for what was then Strabuenmuller Textile High School in 1934-36. Entitled “The Art Contribution to Civilization of All Nations,” the mural was funded by the WPA’s Federal Arts Project.
This 1940 oil-on-canvas mural by George Goethke covers all 4 walls of the kindergarten room of Baywood Elementary School (formerly the George Hall School).
The Beach Chalet contains several New Deal artworks, including this set of monochrome frescoes by Lucien Labaudt located in the stairwell and corridor to the restrooms. The frescoes were painted in 1937 under the WPA’s Federal Art Project.
The Belding School contains a WPA mural by Roberta Elvis. Medium: oil on canvas Size: 15′ x 5’4″
"It is an oil painting on masonite done by Clarkson Dye (FAP/WPA Project #7754). It measures 42-1/4" x 52-1/2" and hangs in the second floor legislative meeting room. Originally this painting was installed at Mt. Diablo State Park, but was… Read More
The Bennett School contains a mural by Grace Spongberg, depicting four subjects: 1) Art, 2) History, 3) Science, 4) Music Medium: oil on canvas Size: 4 panels, each 11′ x 6′ Restoration Info: Restored 2001
The Bennett School contains this WPA mural by Gustaf Dahlstrom. Medium: oil on canvas Size: frieze in 15 sections; 4’6″ x 70′ Restoration Info: Restored 2000
"St. George and the Dragon" (1940) is on the west side of Berkeley High School, on building H. It is a cast stone relief located on the exterior of the building at Martin Luther King Jr. Way at Allston Way…. Read More
“In 1934 Olive Rush, under WPA/FAP, decorated the dome-shaped entrance to the biology building with a fresco. Themes are the history of the development of plant and animal life from earliest beginnings on through to more complicated life forms, with… Read More
Mural: 3 panels “Soldiers and Sailors is a three panel painted mural in the vestibule of Bob Hope Patriotic Hall. Created in 1942 as part of the WPA Art Project, the mural depicts the United States’ military uniforms from 1776 through… Read More
Under the WPA Federal Arts Project, artist Monty Lewis installed a large fresco depicting “The Cotton Industry in Contemporary America” in 1936. The fresco is in the school auditorium. At the time of installation, this building was the High School… Read More
This mural by Bartholomew de Mako was originally made for the Burbank City Hall and is now displayed in the lobby of the City Attorney's Office: "Set against the background of the capitol in Washington D.C., we see justice holding… Read More
This 6′ X 68′ mural produced with FAP funds was removed and reinstalled with some controversy in 1973.
In 1542 Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo became the first European explorer to see the coast of California. This statue of the explorer was made in cast concrete by Henry Lion in 1936. It was a Federal Art Project. It stands on… Read More
These two wood carvings by Sargent Johnson were moved from the school’s former site in Berkeley. “Jungle Scenes,” hanging over the reception desk, consists of two 8′ x 4′ lunettes made of mahogany with gold leaf. “Louis Braille” is 4′… Read More